Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: RV Henge

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

RV Henge

About a 100 yards down from one of the handful of RV dealers on Interstate-4 is an interesting rendition of stonehenge, but with RVs (ok, so the RV's are in a straight line and aren't in alignment with any celestial bodies, but other than that... )

There's eight lanes of interstate, a ditch, a few fences and a large road sign to deal with (heck of a shadow). After stalking this shot for a while now I finally just drove out and gave it a go. Please click on the image for a better view.

RV Henge
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 4th June 2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: removed some stray light spots

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: RV Henge

Really funny sight! Well worth continuing to work the image from different angles and in different light.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good stuff, Robert.

Obviously, the humourous angle works for the image. But to get it as good as you have is quite a challenge in terms of the lighting - I imagine it will be difficult to manage the light bouncing off those things and still keep some detail in the trees behind.

What I also think works is that you have all the RVs contained within the trees behind. What I mean is that if you were lower down or at another angle, some of the vehicles might have been sticking above the top pof the treeline so that we had part of the vehicle backed by trees and some by sky. That, so far as I'm concerned, would have weakened the image significantly. So, for me, that's a lesson in composition and the good use of backgrounds.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Really funny sight! Well worth continuing to work the image from different angles and in different light.
    Thanks Mike!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Good stuff, Robert.

Obviously, the humourous angle works for the image. But to get it as good as you have is quite a challenge in terms of the lighting - I imagine it will be difficult to manage the light bouncing off those things and still keep some detail in the trees behind.

What I also think works is that you have all the RVs contained within the trees behind. What I mean is that if you were lower down or at another angle, some of the vehicles might have been sticking above the top pof the treeline so that we had part of the vehicle backed by trees and some by sky. That, so far as I'm concerned, would have weakened the image significantly. So, for me, that's a lesson in composition and the good use of backgrounds.
    Thanks Donald, I appreciate the feedback. I underestimated how limited the access would be and the impact the canopy of trees and sign would have on the lighting; suffice it to say I'm going to plan my next trip more carefully. Goal is to get the entire row in frame (there are actually eight of them in the ground) and in focus...we'll see.

Real Name
    Richard

I think it is a great shot and probably a pretty good advertising gimic. However, it is IMO pretty close to grafitti.