Thread: Equipment choice

Real Name
    Mike

Equipment choice

I'm curious what brand of equipment you all like. What brand of camera do you use, and why do you choose that over another brand? Noise, picture, ease of use, etc.
    I use Canon but, I'm new and wondering if I made a good choice.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Equipment choice

Mike, this pops up quite often and I think what you will find is......

The best camera in the world is the one you have with you. Seriously there really is no wrong choice between the top 4-5 brands of DSLRs these days. It comes down more to what you do with it and how your skill and ability progress.

Real Name
    Andrew

Three people wanting to get into photography can do the same research and read the same reviews and come up with three different manufacturers that are best for what they see themselves doing. I started out with Praktica, went to Mamiya then to Nikon which I eventually standardized on. Every one was due to opportunities I had based entirely on price. A good friend owned a camera shop and gave me deals on all of it. I ended up on the Nikon not only due to price but also because I had friends that shot Nikon that could help me learn. I could also borrow lenses and accessories to get me started. I could just as easily ended up on Pentax for the same reasons. Past that, it really doesn't matter. I don't think any major manufacturer is so far ahead of the rest that theirs would be the one to buy. These guys are like any other competitive product group. They keep leapfrogging each other on technology and options. Unless you're the type with too much money buying only what's new then don't worry about it. Buy the best you can at the time and run with it. By the way I think $$$ spent on lenses are a better investment than $$$ spent on the camera. You upgrade when your capabilities are better than the hardware you have.

Real Name
    Dan

I think the best answer is: don't worry about it. Even cheap cameras from the best manufacturers today will produce better images than top-of-the-line equipment from not too many years ago. The bottom line is that the biggest obstacle to quality, at least for many of us, lies about 10cm behind the viewfinder. The impact of choice of brand is very, very small in comparison. Moreover, none is overall 'best'. At any time, each one has some advantages over the other.

You ended up with Canon, as did I. Relax and enjoy it. They make superb equipment.

Real Name
    Barry

Mike, as a fellow beginner I think the choice you have made will certainly help you when it comes to availability of add ons. Whilst I really like my Pentax I'm now discovering that, certainly in my part of the UK, lenses etc are far more easily available for CANON and NIKON. My k-r is very intuitive to use and comfortable to handle, however, had I have joined this forum before jumping in I may well have chosen differently! Happy shooting.

Real Name
    Richard

Canon got the lead early in the DSLR race because they introduced the DigiRebel (Canon 300D) which with the 18-55mm kit lens was the first DSLR camera/lens combination in the sub one thousand U.S. dollar price range. That opened the DSLR field to many photographers who previously could not afford a DSLR camera. Nikon fought from behind and now produces excellent cameras which some misguided souls think are better than the Canon offerings.

I will agree that virtually every DSLR being produced today (as well as many recently discontinued models) can produce very good to excellent image quality. However, that is not, necessarily, the case in lenses. A top-line lens on a lower echelon camera will produce better imagery than a low-grade lens on the best cameras.

The differences in DSLR cameras however, are significant! This is mostly due to the ergonomics and control systems. I am a firm advocate of the x0D and 7D lines of Canon DSLR because of the controls they offer. The dual control dial system along with a top LCD makes that series of cameras (IMO) easier and more pleasant with which to work.

The burst auto bracketing system of all the Canon DSLR cameras is lacking in the entry level Nikons.

I absolutely love the "User Controlled Settings" on my 7D and 40D cameras. I can register a variety of shooting parameters and then select all of these parameters with a single twist of the mode dial. This is a very important facet of my shooting and it is either lacking or reduced to some degree in other cameras (the 50D reduced it to 2-user controlled settings and the 60D has only one).

Little bells and whistles like these on a camera make shooting more pleasant (plus quicker and easier) for me. However, a beginning buyer will not know about them or how important they may (or may not) be.

Image quality alone is not the only criteria for which a camera should be selected. I like a camera that I enjoy shooting...

Real Name
    Dinh Khang

Agree with jeeperman - The best camera in the world is the one you have with you. ( We have the same - the best camera is the one in your hand )

The marriage between Canon and Nikon

Equipment choice

EOS 20D + MF Nikkor 105mm

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

When I decided to get into serious digital photography (I had been shooting 35mm film for years), I went through a similar bit of research.

1. Canon and Nikon are the two elephants in the room. They offer complete lines from beginners to high end pro and are well supported by 3rd party manufacturers. The full-frame (same size as 35mm film) camera are aimed at pros and serious amateurs and crop frame cameras that are aimed at beginners through to serious amateurs.

2. There are a host of companies; Sony, Pentax, Sigma, Samsung, etc. that also offer DSLRs. These cameras are primarily aimed at the amateur market. Panasonic and Olympus make "mirrorless" cameras that look a lot like DSLRs, but have replaced the DSLR mirror with an electronic viewfinder. The question I have with these companies is two-fold; are they going to stay in the market long-term and protect my investment in accessories or are they going to get out of the business sometime down the road and I will have to buy a whole new line. The other issue is less support by third party manufacturers.

3. Ergonomics - how does the camera feel in your hands. Size, shape, surface finish, location of the controls. Ultimately, this determined the camera I chose. Much like buying clothing or shoes; you get something that feels right. Yes, you can learn to ues any tool, but something that is intuitive and fits you will always be better for you personally.