Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meadow ..abstract

Real Name
    Sharon

Meadow ..abstract

Much as I enjoyed doing the 'dark' stuff... Today I felt the need for some light and creative whimsy.

Took this in a meadow ( Canon 55-250mm f5) and used some textures in PP.

Meadow ..abstract

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Meadow ..abstract

Okay...13 views/ 0 replies and I am guessing this is way to abstract for here.

Glad I 'pushed the envelope' though.

Real Name
    Mary

I rather like it. I think it has a vintage feel to it.

Real Name
    Carolyn

It is certainly to my taste. I really like it. I think it captures the feeling of light and dancing-ness of a Spring meadow and makes me smile- it is an image that uplifts the spirits.

I miss the textures I used to be able to use in Picnic, and haven't found another programme which has such a range that can easily be applied. I suppose I am going to have to stop being lazy and learn how to make my own and apply them as filters. I like the one you have used here, and the shades and tones it enhances, also that it is not too heavy.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you Mary and Carolyn.

Carolyn...as a fellow devotee I will pm you...you might be pleasantly surprised.

xx

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Okay...13 views/ 0 replies and I am guessing this is way to abstract for here.

Glad I 'pushed the envelope' though.
    Sharon,
    I'm glad you pushed the boundaries. I’ve been looking at it for a while now, one because I like the picture but also because it reminds me of something and I couldn’t think what. Now it’s come to me.

Do you remember the 70’s Cadburys ‘Fake’ advert? (Probably not; I’m sure you’re not old enough) The opening sequence showed a girl walking through a field; very classy with a classic summer feel to it. Well both of these statements can be used to describe this picture.
    Well done.

Real Name
    Miltos

It is excellent Sharon. Of course that kind of work is "more" graphics design than photography but in the end it's all visual art.

For me it feels like paper (I almost can smell it) or a very old print. It gives some very warm and calm feeling.

Few words on how you did this?

Real Name
    Toņo

Hey Sharon

Don't feel like this. You usually get a lot of replies (a lot more than me at least). Your image is very nice. I also think it looks like some kind of paper texture. It gives me a feel of nostalgia, maybe a slight sense of sadness, but beautiful at the same time.

I'm glad you are trying something new and different.

Toņo

Real Name
    Bruce

I like it. Bruce

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Of course that kind of work is "more" graphics design than photography but in the end it's all visual art.
    Now, there's a good topic for a discussion.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Now, there's a good topic for a discussion.
    Donald: a question I posed in an earlier thread is whether we are photographers, graphic artists or both. Bruce

Real Name
    Sharon

How would you define 'graphic design' and what differentiates it from 'Visual art' ...and those from Artistic photography..and that from Photography itself.

I don't make any distinct borders so am really, really interested as to those others make and where the lines in the sand are for them and why.

Discuss. xxx

Real Name
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    How would you define 'graphic design' and what differentiates it from 'Visual art' ...and those from Artistic photography..and that from Photography itself.

I don't make any distinct borders so am really, really interested as to those others make and where the lines in the sand are for them and why.

Discuss. xxx
    think I read somewhere on CiC when I first discovered the site something along the lines of If the original image was made by a camera, it s a photograph-

It has to be looked at that way, I think, because otherwise you either have unlimited PP or it is SOOC. There is no such thing as 'a little bt of tweaking'.

To me, the art of photography is a craft. A technically perfect piece may be produced by learning the craft, but it is not necessarily artistic or has creative flair. An artistic photographic image requires some degree of knowledge of the craft before the creativity can be applied.

Having said that, I have produced some interesting visually 'artistic' effects completely by accident with no application of any craftsmanlike process other than to operate the shutter !

The whole debate on this always reminds me of Oscar Wilde and 'does art imitate nature, or does nature imitate art?'

Real Name
    Philip

Yup Sharon, I like the image. Gentle pastel colours with subtle texture.

Real Name
    Bruce

Sharon: I guess there is not ONE definite answer to what I posed earlier. The end result is visual art whether it be good or not so good. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Bruce

Real Name
    Miltos

As a starting point let agree that the borders are blurred (or non existing).

Limitations such as "I do photographs not art design" is a matter of personal taste and shelf constraint so each of us has a different approach to this.

Lets keep our minds open without exaggerations although even that is extremely subjective.

Just to mention an extreme, I know that there are people claiming the ""purity"" of photographic art away from any evil computer-based alteration of the image. Even people that think that if it hasn't been developed in a dark room it is not a photograph!

Real Name
    Patrik

I'd like to jump into this discussion as I have had this question. Is it photography, graphic art or a fake somewhere in between ?
    As I dabble a little in painting I thought of combining these art forms and came up with my "3P production". Photography, Photoshop, Pinelo (paint brush), using all three, printed on canvas and framed as a painting.
    People liked it and I insisted on calling it mysteriously 3P art. I want to hear your judgements pls.
    Patrik
    Meadow ..abstract

Real Name
    Keith

Hi Sharon,

It looks great printed on watercolour paper. It would make a very attractive greetings card front I think - Best Wishes, Happy Birthday, Deepest Sympathy, Sorry I forgot, etc. Not abstract at all, just dreamy.

Real Name
    Mary

Isn't it all "art"? Each one of us has a vision of what we would like to produce. And we use "tools"-the painter uses a brush,paint,canvas. The sculptor uses chisel, stone, wood. The photographer uses pixels, film, chemicals, paper.software. You get the idea. We all have a vision and it's up to us as to how we "display" or produce that vision. You put 5 photographers, painters, sculptors, etc in a room with a single flower in a vase and each would have a different vision of the flower-that is art.

Real Name
    Sharon

Totally agree with you Mary.

it's not what we see..it's the way we to interpret and choose to express what we see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast