Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Working a subject

  1. #1

    Working a subject

    I spent last weekend up in Maine, I had the opportunity to spend some time on the beach and get several shots of this Turn-style drawbridge.

    1)
    Working a subject

    2)
    Working a subject

    3)
    Working a subject

    4)
    Working a subject

    5)
    Working a subject

    6)
    Working a subject

    7)
    Working a subject

    and my favorite of the whole experience:

    8)
    Working a subject

    It was kinda a cool to be able to focus on one subject and walk around and get different perspectives of the same subject.

    Thanks
    Ryo
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st June 2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: numbered images for ease of reference

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,701
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Working a subject

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    It was kinda a cool to be able to focus on one subject and walk around and get different perspectives of the same subject.
    I did the same thing over two mornings last weekend and, agree, that it is great to really concentrate on one subject and explore what you can do from different perspectives. This is one of them. I still have more to finish and post up here.

    For me, for its sheer simplicity (achieving that is, I think, always a great skill) and 'uncomplicatedness' (if there is such a word), this is my pick of this set. I do think it needs a bit of a rotation to level it up, but I love what I call the 'harmony' in the scene.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    Working a subject
    Last edited by Donald; 31st May 2012 at 02:05 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    17,884

    Re: Working a subject

    Donald's favorite is also mine. Very, very well done!

  4. #4

    Re: Working a subject

    Wow that must have been a real pleasure to shoot. All the ones around here are so far from land or are just a memory from childhood days and are gone now.

    I would have to agree with Donlad's pick of the litter. I just like the subject and it's position, the light, reflections in the water and they way the background fills in just enough, and somewhat obscured in the fog, and yet not enough of it to take away from the main subject.

  5. #5
    MrB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    1,041
    Real Name
    Philip

    Re: Working a subject

    I agree that Donald's choice is the best photographic image of the set. However, never having seen this before, from that image alone I doubt that I would have known what the subject actually is, without having been told. I wonder if a viewpoint from the shore, at about 45 degrees to the line of the "piers", and with a similar simple composition but showing a little bit more of each pier than in our agreed selection, might have helped in this regard?

    Philip

  6. #6

    Re: Working a subject

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I did the same thing over two mornings last weekend and, agree, that it is great to really concentrate on one subject and explore what you can do from different perspectives. This is one of them. I still have more to finish and post up here.

    For me, for its sheer simplicity (achieving that is, I think, always a great skill) and 'uncomplicatedness' (if there is such a word), this is my pick of this set. I do think it needs a bit of a rotation to level it up, but I love what I call the 'harmony' in the scene.
    There is a good learning point for me, one... keep the family entertained (they collected seashells). Which leads to taking the time to observe and shoot the subject and work the picture to find a good final.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Donald's favorite is also mine. Very, very well done!
    Thanks Mike I hope to get some great images like yours (Yosemite Falls) comes to mind....

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    Wow that must have been a real pleasure to shoot. All the ones around here are so far from land or are just a memory from childhood days and are gone now.

    I would have to agree with Donlad's pick of the litter. I just like the subject and it's position, the light, reflections in the water and they way the background fills in just enough, and somewhat obscured in the fog, and yet not enough of it to take away from the main subject.
    Carl; It truly was a great opportunity that I happened to stumble upon while out with my Family. It was an early morning till mid day sun shoot, we made our way around and down to the beach.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I agree that Donald's choice is the best photographic image of the set. However, never having seen this before, from that image alone I doubt that I would have known what the subject actually is, without having been told. I wonder if a viewpoint from the shore, at about 45 degrees to the line of the "piers", and with a similar simple composition but showing a little bit more of each pier than in our agreed selection, might have helped in this regard?

    Philip
    Philip, I felt that the angle you are talking about had to many distractions in the back ground. In images one and two you can see a hint of the marina and peninsula that would have fallen into that set up. I have been working on my composition of late, it is the one area most of my car photos have lacked.

    Here is my latest rendition of that image, leveled out and a bit of cleanup...

    Working a subject

    Thanks
    Ryo

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,040
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Working a subject

    Hi Ryo,

    I had to number them for reference!

    For me, being familiar with such structures due to an interest in railways, 1), 6) and 4) tell the story.
    7) adds some useful colour, but is perhaps just a tad close to the top edge of frame.

    While I'd also have shot 2), for me, it isn't part of the series - arguably the grafitti on the rocks is another series in its own right. However, I can see a point of view that says it "tells the story of the 'progres' of our society" since the bridge was in use

    You did quite well given the subject is some way off, preventing any wide angle or UWA perspective on the swingbridge itself.

    I do like the last one in your follow up, great tonal range and composition.

    Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st June 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •