Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: "Injured" Bird

Real Name
    randy

"Injured" Bird

So there I was out on a nice Spring day, soaking in the rays, treating a customer's lawn, cruising happily along on my motorized spreader. Suddenly, I came upon a most distressing sight!!!

"Injured" Bird

The poor bird was flopping and thrashing in terrible distress! All attempts to soothe his ailments, surely a broken wing, met with his/her fleeing across the lawn

"Injured" Bird

Strangely enough, his/her mate seems to be similarly afflicted. Wait......... do I sense a ruse?

I search about............................,

"Injured" Bird

and there at my feet

"Injured" Bird

And finally, inspired by Bobo's willingness to stretch his horizon by shooting flowers recently,........I give you good folks,

"Injured" Bird

Birdie Macro

Real Name
    Paul

Re: "Injured" Bird

Nice find. Those little Killdeer are funny little birds when a nest of young are close. If you have a chance to go back....go in the a.m. before momma has fed them all day and they may be more active. Maybe if you are lucky and quiet {now that you know they are there} you might catch them feeding.

Real Name
    randy

I'm pretty sure the fourth had just hatched, there was still egg shell on its back. I kind of wish the nest had been in stones, it would have a great example of just how well they are camoflaged.

Real Name
    Bobo

LOL was not expecting a mention in a post but means I do read everything you guys put up.

Excellent find and love that closeup. You have some excellent material there for a while and you can go nuts just doing a "as they grow" series and at the same time getting really creative on your shots. Try getting shots from their level, light from different directions etc. But keep your distance or the adults may feel too threatened to feed the young.

Real Name
    randy

Regretfully, they are quite a ways out in the boondocks for me, there will be no series for me. I do have another thread going that will follow seasonal changes in a small goat prairie

Real Name
    Bobo

Too bad but we are optimists. There will always be something good somewhere...