Thread: Up or Down

Real Name
    John

Up or Down

Hi all,
    just continuing with some compostion ideas and thought I would try B&W.
    C&C welcome.

Up or Down

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Up or Down

Very nice conversion! The composition isn't bad but it also doesn't grab me. This looks like a really interesting place that you could photograph for hours trying to get an ideal composition.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John - Unless you're absolutely sold on this needing to be ina 1:1 format about going to 4:5 (I think that would work) and cropping at the left to just before the start of that top-most escalator. I think the 4 people on the left and the lines of the 'entrance area' to the top escalator are an unnecessary distraction. I'd suggest that a crop would throw much more attention onto the geometric lines and shapes of the 3 sets of escalators.

Real Name
    Miltos

It is like a M. C. Escher painting. Very nice. Too bad we cann't see the whole of the bottom escalator (probably not possible?).

After revisiting this image, I just now got the idea to incorporate Donald's suggested crop into a crop that also eliminates the top of the highest escalator and the bottom of the lowest escalator. Doing so leaves more to the imagination of the viewer and makes the two outer escalators seem much longer because we can't see where they end.

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for your comments and advice.
    I've had a little play in PP, does this look better? I'm never sure myself.

Up or Down

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John - I think that cutting the top and bottom as you have, loses the strong abstract shapes that the 3 sets of escalators gives. I would go as far as to suggest that this crop is not as strong an image as the original.

I have to confess to still favouring a 4:5 crop that incorporates the top and bottom of your original.

But, the point to remember is that this is your image. An despite what any of the rest of us say or suggest, you have to feel that your final version is the 'right' one. So, please feel free to ignore all these ramblings.

Real Name
    John

Believe me Donald; I do not take your suggestion and advice as rambling. I, like the other members of CiC have seen the quality of your work and respect and thank you for taking the time to help us.

I agree that we all have the final decision over our pictures; but at my level and not yet actually finding a ‘style’ or having a firm grasp of what I want from each picture makes your advice indispensable. The time will come; I hope, when I can offer good solid advice to other members and I will do so with pleasure, always remembering how others helped me.

I think I've got the ratio correct now. I only posted small image this time as I'm sure everyone's bored of this by now.

Regards

Up or Down
    Last edited by JPS; 30th May 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Sorry that I suggested cropping the top and bottom. Now that I see it, I agree with Donald that the first image is better. The concept that I suggested for the crop often works for me, but not in this particular case.

Real Name
    Joćo Navarrete

Fantastic! Have you tried to photoshop this image and make more stairs at the bottom? I think it would create a nice result. Infinite stairs!

Real Name
    Terry

Hi John!

Great shot!

I guess I'm a little lopsided today!

I can't shake the feeling that this image is tilted about 2 degrees or so to counterclockwise.

I based this on the white column running vertical at the head of each escalator landing.

Could just be me and the fact that my head is on crooked!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John - On that latest version you posted, we seem to have more of the image at the right hand side in the frame; i.e. that which you had previously cropped, with the whole thing condensed into the 4:5 ratio.

Not getting bored at all. I always find it immensely interesting to search out the best possible composition on a scene that you know is good. I feel that that is very much part of the process of making a final image. I think the starting point for this image; i.e. the photo that you captured, has the making of a very good picture. What we're doing here is just searching for the best presentation form for that final picture.

I hope you don't mind, but this is what I was thinking about.

Up or Down

Donald's version makes it for me. There's something about the placement of the woman at the bottom of the middle escalator that anchors the image. Most important, it shows that John captured a wonderful image in the first place, well worth taking the time to tweak.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Donald, I agree your crop does look better, 'we' got there in the end. Lol

If I compare the final image with the original; which was in colour, had a completely different crop ratio and was IMO ready for the bin. Now I feel that I have ended up with a reasonably respectable picture, that I can add to my ‘on-going learning’ portfolio.
    Thank you all for your comments and helpful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    was IMO ready for the bin.
    Yikes! Don't be so quick on the delete key! This image is definitely a keeper.