Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Izzy

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Izzy

This is an image of our cat Izzy who is quite the sun-worshipper. My goal was to grab a very sharp focus on the face with a fairly shallow DoF. I like the clarity in the face but wonder of it is too dark in relation to all the sunlit areas. I'm thinking the direct sunlight on the paws is too much..I clipped the whites a bit but to no avail. Please C&C this on composition, exposure and whatever else crosses your mind

~Kerry

Izzy

Nikon D300, 55mm f/1.2 at f/4.0, 1/20th, ISO 200

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Izzy

Tough shot. I like the focus and the shadows are not bad, still plenty of detail in her darker areas. It is too bad about the direct sunlit areas, pretty well blown. If she lays still enough you might be able to capture a few exposures and blend them. Exposing for the highlights and seperately for the shadows.

I would also think the forground paw being within your DOF would strengthen it as well. Not totally sharp but not so out that it is an eye catcher.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kerry,

It is tough as Paul says, but 'clipping the whites' won't give what you want.

You'll have to expose for the paw (e.g. raise shutter speed), shoot RAW (if not already), then bring up the dark/shadow areas in PP, possibly even from a separate development/layer of the RAW blended with the paw.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Kerry,

It is tough as Paul says, but 'clipping the whites' won't give what you want.

You'll have to expose for the paw (e.g. raise shutter speed), shoot RAW (if not already), then bring up the dark/shadow areas in PP, possibly even from a separate development/layer of the RAW blended with the paw.

Cheers,

Dave and Paul, Thanks for the honest feedback. I agree the whites are totally blown out. Blending is an unfamiliar term to me...sounds like it could be the answer here. Being an ol' film / darkroom guy I would dodge the area. I'll read up on blending multiple images.

Kerry

Real Name
    Bruce

Overall a pretty good shot; however your eye immediately goes to the blown out paw. Bruce

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kdfrank View Post
    I'll read up of blending multiple images.
    You may find that the process on 'blending' may be easier to locate under Layer and Masking if you are searching the web. For example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8CtjWOjTHs

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    You may find that the process on 'blending' may be easier to locate under Layer and Masking if you are searching the web. For example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8CtjWOjTHs
    Frank, thanks for the link. I now have an excuse to buy Photoshop

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Overall a pretty good shot; however your eye immediately goes to the blown out paw. Bruce
    Bruce, thanks for the comment!