Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Country Church (5-28-12)

Real Name
    Bruce

Country Church (5-28-12)

When I first got my DSLR this was one of the first "serious" shots I took with it. Shot on a mild winter day in January, 2008. Welcome C&C. Bruce
    Country Church (5-28-12)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Country Church (5-28-12)

Your composition is very nice! I would like to see more separation between the steeple and the sky and between the clouds and the rest of the sky. That would be accomplished in post-processing.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

In addition to Mike's comments, I think the image overall could do with some colour enhancement to give more punch to the grass and sky. The contrast between the white of the church and the shadows on the grass could also be enhanced to increase the separation of the church from the background, currently the image is quite flat in terms of colour and tone. I suspect this may be a characteristic of the winter light as well so the flat light may be quite natural. I think nature may need some assistance in this instance.

I would consider a crop to see if cutting out the two leafless trees flanking the church would improve the image. The church is already quite central in the so it may or may not be an improvement. If reshooting; having the church slightly more to the right would let the natural curve of the hill and the approach driveway lead the eye towards the building.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Good exposure Bruce,

I'd concur with Mike and and Trevor's views on PP improvement and composition.

I would also clone out the two bright things near the left hand tree.

Cheers,