Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: It's a Clock

Real Name
    Jason

It's a Clock

Hi,

I have been considering whether to upgrade my kit lens to something more prime like, mainly because I was of the opinion that the kit lens being, well a kit lens, would not perform to the same standard as a prime. I suppose that this is pretty right in general. I then came to the realisation that I really can not afford to buy any news lens so I had better learn how to get the best out of what I have. So, that attached is a recent photo I took around my house, I have taken to leaving the lens set at the 35mm mark and working with that, using my feet to get me where I want to be, and I must say that I do not think I would be able to get much sharper. This was processed using Aftershot Pro and resized in Gimp.
    Well that is enough raving from me, hopefully I have not been to boring.

Cheers

J

It's a Clock

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: It's a Clock

Jason - You have certainly not been too boring.

I have just exchanged my Canon 17-85 kit lens for a 24-70 L. I yearned to have this lens, but, like you, found it hard to justify on the basis that, for what I was doing, the kit lens did a very good job. Indeed, I posted up and image quite a while ago and stated that I must get over this desire for the 24-70 because, as could be seen, the kit lens was producing good quality pictures that I could process to achieve excellent sharpness.

But what got me in the end, was greed and lust and the fact that I could get f2.8 across the zoom range.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Jason that's a very attractive clock and you've presented it very well in your image. Nice B&W processing.

Dave

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Jason,
    Go to WWW.imaging-recource.com and read the review on the D5100. You have no reason at all not to be happy with what you've got.
    Sometimes it is just a matter of getting to know the tricks. That is why we are members of CiC, is'nt it????

If the "hourly sound" or anything else seems to be slightly out of focus on the clock you must remember you have glass in front of the hour works. It is possible the camera can focus on the glass without you knowing it. Look very carefully and it looks like dust on glass in front of the hour works.
    Try the same shot using a tripod and manual focus.

Enjoy your D5100. And the kit lenses.

Andre

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Jason, I like your clock image, it has a very nice feel to it. I agree with all comments above and I certainly understand your budget dilemma! We can all do well by learning to work with what we have. Alas, after much research and penny pinching to save up, I've sold one of my "kit" Nikon zoom lens and like Donald, upgraded to the latest 24-70mm f/2.8 from Nikon. I also have a vintage Nikon 55mm f1.2 prime lens from the seventies which is converted for use on my DSLR. I am finding that I can use the new zoom lens with confidence and with no noticeable loss in clarity compared to the prime lens. Also the new zoom lens allows shot framing with less moving myself further or closer to the shot I want. Hope this helps!

Regards ~ Kerry

Real Name
    Philip

Jason,

It certainly looks like a clock, and a very handsome one too!

It also looks as though your kit zoom lens and the PP have done a good job of producing a sharp image, and confirmation of that might be the only reason that you took the shot and posted it here. However, there is one other thing to comment on (and it gets to me whenever I see it!), which is the perspective distortion - unless it is done for obviously artistic effect. There might be a good reason that you shot looking slightly downwards (e.g. something reflecting off the face) but, if it was mine and if it were possible, I would re-shoot it with the camera on a tripod (or table) and at right-angles to the centre of the clock. Alternatively, if that was not possible, the perspective could be corrected in PP. It's a bit like wonky horizons - they are irritating too! (As usual, just my opinions.)

Otherwise, I like your clock image, which focuses clearly on everything that makes the clockiness of the clock!

Philip

Real Name
    Toņo

Jason

it is a very nice image, and my only question is the same as Philip's. why didn't you shot the clock perpendicular to the clock's face?

I'm still working with my kit lens, but with a little patience they can deliver good results too. Keep shooting!

Toņo

Real Name
    Jason

Hi again,

Thank you all for your feedback and comments. To tell you the truth when I took the photo I was just wondering about the house looking for something to shoot so I could do some assessments on the quality and sharpness from the lens. I did not put any real thought into how I should shoot the image. I followed the advice given and set up on a tripod and tried again, thank you for giving by the way. This time I thought I would go a bit further and try the bracketing feature on the camera as well. I then processed the three images in Luminance HDR gave a bit of a touch up in Aftershot Pro and finally resized in Gimp.
    I am not really happy with the resizing as the clarity took a hit. I have also included a link to the full size image if anyone would care to see the difference, I hope that is ok. Once again thank you all for your comments, CiC is just the best and friendliest site I have found.

Cheers

J

It's a Clock

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/...clockyhdr1.jpg

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    Hi again,

Thank you all for your feedback and comments. To tell you the truth when I took the photo I was just wondering about the house looking for something to shoot so I could do some assessments on the quality and sharpness from the lens. I did not put any real thought into how I should shoot the image. I followed the advice given and set up on a tripod and tried again, thank you for giving by the way. This time I thought I would go a bit further and try the bracketing feature on the camera as well. I then processed the three images in Luminance HDR gave a bit of a touch up in Aftershot Pro and finally resized in Gimp.
    I am not really happy with the resizing as the clarity took a hit. I have also included a link to the full size image if anyone would care to see the difference, I hope that is ok. Once again thank you all for your comments, CiC is just the best and friendliest site I have found.

Cheers

J

It's a Clock

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/...clockyhdr1.jpg
    Excellent work Jason.

Dave

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Wow Jason,
    Do you feel better about the kit lens now? No need to break the bank for a good shot.
    Seems to me I saw glass where there is no glass.

Great job!

Keep shooting!

Andre

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Wow Jason,
    Do you feel better about the kit lens now? No need to break the bank for a good shot.

Great job!

Keep shooting!

Andre

Real Name
    Jason

Thanks Dave

No Andre you saw glass alright, amazing what a change of angle can present

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Philip

Great work, Jason. What a great clock and a great image!

Just to satisfy curiosity, how big is it and what materials is the cabinet made of?

Philip

Real Name
    Jason

Hey Philip,

It is only a small table clock, about 7 inches by 7 inches and about 3 inches deep, as for what is is made of I do not know, sorry. It is fairly solid and has good weight so I think some type of hardwood.

Cheers

J