Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flower (5-28-12)

Real Name
    Bruce

Flower (5-28-12)

I shot this photo in my neighbor's yard. I would welcome C&C. Bruce
    Flower (5-28-12)
    Last edited by Digital; 28th May 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Flower (5-28-12)

Bruce, single flower shots are always a challenge for me. Nice colors. I think I would like a little deeper DOF or a slightly different focal plane to get the stamen a little sharper. Also the angle looks a bit like you were looking down on the flower, I think a from the left or right slightly would have been stronger.
    Having said that I am sure there is a tighter crop here that would work well but I have not worked it out exactly as of yet.

Real Name
    Bruce

Paul, thank you so much for your comments. Bruce

Real Name
    Sharon

Hi Bruce,

As Paul says single flower shots need a bit of thought...It helps to decide in advance what aspect of the particular flower attracts you and what you want to emphasise. I think Lilies such as this excel in shape and form so I would generally shoot them from far enough away to include the whole bloom and it's elegant lines. Other blooms benefit from a tight square crop of the centre area if that is where the interest lies. I don't feel this crop is working for this bloom as it is neither one nor the other.

It is a lovely colourful flower but the conditions you have shot it under seem very bright and this has blown the highlights on the paler petals a bit. Maybe go back to your neighbours yard at a shadier time of day to get the best out of it and as Paul said try some different angles.

cheers!

Real Name
    Bruce

Sharon, I appreciate your comments. I am a novice when it comes to flower shots. This was shot in very bright conditions. Bruce

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Sharon, I appreciate your comments. I am a novice when it comes to flower shots. This was shot in very bright conditions. Bruce

...ahh that we should ever be troubled by bright conditions here in Scotland Bruce.

I admire you for being brave enough to ask for critique and hope you know that it is ( nearly) always done with kindness and utmost respect here on CIC

cheers.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    ...ahh that we should ever be troubled by bright conditions here in Scotland Bruce.

I admire you for being brave enough to ask for critique and hope you know that it is ( nearly) always done with kindness and utmost respect here on CIC

cheers.
    Sharon, thanks again for you kind comments. I really do need to practice more with flowers. Bruce