Thread: Right angle viewfinder for 7D

Real Name
    Mark

Right angle viewfinder for 7D

My knees aren't what they used to be and I'm finding it harder to get down on them when needed. Just want to know if there is such a thing as a quality right angle viewfinder or are they all cheapies?

To suit a 7D.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Right angle viewfinder for 7D

Hi Mark,

I use the genuine Canon Angle Finder C - works great

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Finder_C.html

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Aahh, that's interesting. I've been looking at it over the past few weeks and wondering if anyone used it.

Thoughts?

• Great tool?
    • Does the job?
    • Awkward?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Donald,

Works pretty much "as advertised". The only thing that makes me a little nervous is the fact that the ("big") size of the finder -v- the ("little") size of the mount suggests to me that there could be quite a mechanical moment generated if one weren't careful and gave the finder a good "knock" (thus potentially damaging the camera).

Other than that, it's fine.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Colin. That's very helpful.

Now added to the 'must have' list. I'll get it after the mumbles about me getting the 24-70 L and the Singh Ray (thin) Vari ND (a friend is picking one up for me from B & H in New York in a couple of weeks), dies down!!

I used mine extensively with the 30D, and a bit less with the 5DII (live view), but it's still useful with the latter because if the camera is close to the ground, getting one's head on the grass is difficult (the screen won't swivel whereas the screen on the new 60D has a swivel screen, making the angle finder redundant - I'd love to have a swivel screen.)

BTW, I think the right angle finder fits all Canon cameras.

Glenn

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Colin.

I had a search through Canon's site but obviously wasn't using the right words.

Hi Mark,

Real Name
    J stands for John

I bought one for my Pentax SLR and discovered that when I removed the rubber surround on my D60 it fitted ... but rarely used it on either camera becuase the 'feel' of the hard eyepiece unpleasant compared with that of the camera ... might be better with a rubber eyepiece to support the head or rather register the head to the eyepiece. Perhaps DSLRs should be held to the eye

But since my other and mostly used cameras have swivelling LCDs it has not been used for ages.

Hi Donald,

Works pretty much "as advertised". The only thing that makes me a little nervous is the fact that the ("big") size of the finder -v- the ("little") size of the mount suggests to me that there could be quite a mechanical moment generated if one weren't careful and gave the finder a good "knock" (thus potentially damaging the camera).

Other than that, it's fine.
    This was a concern of mine also, but in practice it wasn't a problem. If there is a problem, it's that the finder doesn't fit snugly enough to the camera (the rubber eyepiece must be removed first), and tends to fall off if the camera is inverted.

I suspect that a flash mounted to the top of the camera being heavier and protruding farther from the camera, is more susceptible to damage. Additionally, the finder has a joint that rotates (for vertical orientation of the body), that prevents torquing to a large extent.

I'm only familiar with the Canon finders, but will add that they have a very soft and comfortable rubber eyepiece, the magnification can be adjusted (two levels), and they focus very well to provide a very clear image - probably better than the view through the camera.

They can be awkward, but when shooting flowers (or bugs) that are on the ground, they are indispensable if the camera doesn't have a projecting eyepiece that swivels.

Glenn

PS - to me the largest drawback was the price.

Real Name
    Richard

With two titanium knees and a spinal fusion, I need all the help that I can get when the shots are in a difficult position. I don't really like an articulating live view finder but, this was a moot point. I purchased the 7D when the only articulating finder was on the Rebel models. I certainly would not choose a Rebel or even the 60D only for the articulating finder. My right angle finder works just fine.

I use a Seagull Right Angle Finder which I have had and used for longer than I remember. I bought it to use with my 10D which was my first DSLR. It fits the 30D, 40D and 7D also.

It was very inexpensive when I purchased it, many years ago, probably around $12-15 USD on eBay (I forgot exactly how much I paid). My finder has only one power (I bought it before the variable power Seagulls were available). Even the single power Seagull finder is a lot more expensive than that now!

The finder is extremely light in weight and I don't think it would damage the camera at all with some reasonably careful use. The only thing I need to be careful of is to ensure that I don't lose the viewfinder eyepiece when I am shooting with the right angle finder.

I don't know how much better, if at all, that the Canon OEM Right Angle Finder might be. However, the Seagull does a fine job....

BTW... the right angle finder also works great for just lowering the camera point of view. I am six feet two inches tall and sometimes when I shoot full length shots of a shorter person with a reasonably wide focal length, the lowered point of view helps minimize distortion. I used to use Rolleiflex and Hasselblad reflex film cameras with waist level viewfinders; so viewing my image looking straight dowm is not awkward for me...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 27th May 2012 at 12:28 AM.

The Canon angle finder is not cheap:

Glenn

Real Name
    Nick

I use a Canon anglefinder C on a 5D. Like many here I've only used the one model – so it's difficult to give guidance.
    The good points:-
    Nice eyepiece – with dioptre adjustment and a magnified view at the flick of a switch.
    Nice image quality.
    Can be used with a tripod set lower than eye hight – that way you can see through the viewfinder and see the top plate of the camera.
    The bad points:-
    Uses adaptors to fit different camera models – resulting in sometimes removing the anglefinder and leaving part of the adaptor behind on the eyepiece – or dropping it on the ground.
    The rotating fitting is useful – portrait / landscape and so on. But the detent is week and floppy.
    Shows less of the frame than the viewfinder.
    Very expensive – poor material value IMHO.
    Overall:-
    This is the only bit of Canon kit I regret buying. Knowing what I know now I'd be tempted to try a Seagull.

Real Name
    Roy A Morales jr

1st , I did not like the angle finder in store .
    2nd , Don't get the slim model VND - get the regular one and a rubber hood . Screw on hood - a lot easier to adjust the VND or CPL without touching the glass .
    3RD , look at cane pods - mine is great - bad knees also .
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Antishock-Hiking...item5adf45c0bd

Real Name
    Mark

I got one from Ebay for half the price of the local stores here. Arrived in a week and thankfully it's the real deal Canon product! Seems like a well made bit of kit although I would have like the diopter to be able to be fixed at a setting. It is too easy to change as currently designed. The magnifier will be great for low light focusing.