Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kelvin Anarchy (HDR)

Real Name
    Dave Corbett

Kelvin Anarchy (HDR)

Hello folks,

For your consideration and comments, a shot I took last night.

I'm still shooting in JPG since I've not really put the time into understanding RAW just yet.
    I have a question about white balance in RAW and how it would have handled multiple color temperatures like this.

I created a custom white balance based on those horrible orange sodium lights, which I used in this shot. I love what happened to the fluorescent and ambient light.

Would RAW have changed or improved the interplay of colors, or would I just have been forced to choose what tint I'd wind up with?

All comments and tips are graciously welcomed.

Kelvin Anarchy (HDR)
    Last edited by OldCrow; 18th July 2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Kelvin Anarchy

I dont know...but the purple in this pic isnt working for me...i keep having flashbacks of Batman or crown royal...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dave,

You´re basically right, RAW wouldn´t help with the laws of physics, so still only one colour would be "correct". However, where RAW might have benefitted was that from the one RAW shot you could have done multiple high quality conversions to different layers in PS or Elements, then painted to selectively expose them in the final image, hopefully giving a more chromatically balanced picture.

I agree with Kevin that the purple is a bit over the top - therefore, perhaps a simpler option would just be to desaturate; either the whole lot, or selectively for the purple, to get something a little more "as expected".

You might also want to wipe the desat brush over some of the flares.

Quite a nice composition though.
    Maybe a mono version?

Cheers,

But what a nice B&W it makes.....looked a lot better than the original or the original with purple reduced......

Hey man, I love your pic. Beauty is in the eye etc - if you like it that's cool and others opinions are just that - their opinion! (I would rant on forever but I've lost my reading glasses which probably good for everyone).

I'm 60 years old and was never into photography until I discovered HDR - it's a new form of self expression. It's like the new fangled rock 'n roll; it'll never catch on.

I'm a nube just signed in 10 minutes ago to say this, so there are no examples of my pix yet ... soon as I can get it together. People who aren't photographers really like what I do. Photographers don't like it on the whole.

Leigh.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 2nd August 2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Lowered volume :)

Hi Dave,

Can't answer your question but had to post to say that I actually like your image, which is not something I say about many HDRs!

I like it because it's not wildly contrasty and I love the the surreal colours.

Real Name
    Gary

All ya need is a blues man walking down the sidewalk with his guitar case in hand and this photo would be complete..Nice job! I'd hang it.

Hi,
    I am not a professional but I tell You B R A V O !!!
    Radu Dinu

Real Name
    Jan Matatko

Cau,
    did you have to straighten verticals?

Wow...impressive. What lens did you took this photo with?

Real Name
    Tim

Nice! Reminds me of the 70s, maaaaaan

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

I have a small (silly, may be) question. Its regarding White-Balance. If the subject is in shade and we (with the camera, of course) are in sunlight, what WB should be chosen. The sunlight or the shade setting? I know, it can be tweaked a bit while RAW processing, but just curious.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    I have a small (silly, may be) question. Its regarding White-Balance. If the subject is in shade and we (with the camera, of course) are in sunlight, what WB should be chosen. The sunlight or the shade setting? I know, it can be tweaked a bit while RAW processing, but just curious.
    Hei Sahil, fellow D3000 user I'm no expert but I would think you should set WB to match the scene situation eg in this case 'shade'. The option is shoot in RAW and sort out what you prefer afterwards in post processing.

If I am wrong, it won't take the experts in CinC long to 'sort me out'.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hehe, I know. Experts seem to be busy PPing somebody's error
    I love this forum.

I think you got a good composition, but those colors just so unreal I'm not convinced.
    A black and white conversion could be better