Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: CS5 Problem - ideas ?

Real Name
    Paul

CS5 Problem - ideas ?

Here's a little problem that's recently cropped up in Photoshop (CS5) when I save a jpeg. Regardless whether I save the jpeg using 'Save to web and devices' or using 'File' -> 'Save As' the output file is about half a stop brighter than the original. Now, if I want to output an image as a jpeg I find I have to apply a Levels layer set to about 0.8 to effectvely darken the image before I save it from Photoshop in order to have an image that looks right. I have the same issue with Lightroom. If on the other hand I take a saved over bright jpeg and re-open it with Photoshop it opens and looks as nature intended (i.e. overbrightness removed). On the other hand if I open a 'corrected' jpeg in Photoshop - it opens too dark as do all other jpeg images.
    As I mentioned this cropped up relatively recently, everything was working as it should before and I can't think of anything that I might have changed ..
    Imagine how annoying this is ....
    I'm thinking gamma but I could be wrong - any ideas ?

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Re: CS5 Problem - ideas ?

I have never experienced this effect - but do you think it might have something to do with the settings chosen in the output dialogue box?

CS5 Problem - ideas ?

Just a thought...
    Last edited by darkslide; 23rd May 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: can't type...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Paul,

Can you click on Edit -> Color Settings and post what it says (inc "more" options)?

Real Name
    Paul

Logical - but I've checked already :-( The output settings are OK, also if you Save to Web etc. this isn't an option.

Real Name
    Darren

...and how are you viewing the resulting JPEG? Some applications are color managed while other are not.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

My random thought, which might be what Darren is suggesting, is ...

Hi Colin,

Could an 'incorrect' monitor profile, which only Photoshop and Lightroom are using, cause this effect?

Unfortunately, if true, I think this implies the files as viewed elsewhere are correct and when viewed in PS and LR are seen dimmer than they should be, which Paul is compensating for in PP by making them too bright.

Real Name
    Paul

Colin this is what I get - took some time to find a program to capture the screen

CS5 Problem - ideas ?

Real Name
    Paul

Dave/Darren

I'm viewing the jpegs in Firefox/Internet Explorer/Xara picture editor (??) and a view app that I wrote - same result for all three.
    The monitor is profiled with a Spider3 for which I have a few profiles created. One or two of the created profiles (which I havn't deleted yet) are a little too bright - I'll use those profiles and retest to see if I get the same results (I suspect that willl be the case but a straw worth clutching at ...)

Real Name
    Peter

"program to capture the screen" - you can do this in Photoshop, at least in Windows. Alt +PrtScr, then go to P'shop, Ctrl +N, and paste. Also in Irfanview, and probably many others.

Real Name
    Darren

aha... IE is not color managed... and probably Firefox as well as other browsers.

Real Name
    Stewart

If the uncompensated jpegs look fine in Photoshop (and Bridge) & Lightroom these are all colour managed and should be most trusted, or at least as good as your chosen profile. Where as many other programs are not, and give variable results.
    Why this has only just recently started happening could be something with changing a profile or a setting in Windows Colour Management gone wrong.

Real Name
    Paul

Right then, in Photoshop I switched my Proof Setup from Internet SRGB to Monitor RGB and toggled Proof Colours - image too bright on Monitor RGB and OK (I guess) on Internet SRGB. So from that I imagine that the images I'm posting are OK and don't need darkening (bugger) and that my monitor is out of cal or I've changed something when I've been searching for the off switch. Sound about right or am I just getting seriously confused now