Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Long Exposure Attempts

Real Name
    Patrick

First Long Exposure Attempts

On a recent trip to Comillas (Spain) I decided to have a go at long exposures since our hotel was on the beach and I really like the silky water look. The problem is that I don't have any ND or Polarizing filters so I had to make do with just waiting for the light to be dim enough to allow me to slow the shutter. I'm posting just 2 out of quite a few different attempts with widely varying settings made on two different evenings. PP was different for each shot so I'm curious to hear opinions on all aspects. C&C is invited.
    Thanks for looking,
    Patrick

Ap. Priority, ISO 200, S-50sec, A-16, 56mm, +2.3 EV (Shot with Olympus "Kit" lens 14-42 3.5-5.6)

Manual, ISO 200, S-15sec, A-16(I think), 100mm, 0 EV (Shot with Canon FD 50mm 1.4)

The second shot had no filter at all on the lens where as the first had a UV filter, I'm assuming that the UV filter is the reason the lights don't have the nice star form like in the second shot?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: First Long Exposure Attempts

Hi Patrick

They are both nice shots IMO. The only suggestion I have for the first is to increase the black level on the Levels Adjustment to about 30. I think it looks a little washed out although it may have the look you were after (in which case ignore me!) Focus is spot on in both images and the second image has a nice warmth to it.

Well done
    Dave
    Last edited by dje; 23rd May 2012 at 04:11 AM.

Real Name
    Joe

Patrick, they are both beautiful shots. I too think the first is just a little washed out, but just a little. Love the first one best.As Dave said about the second one it has a nice warmth to it.

Real Name
    Patrick

Hi Dave and Joe,
    Thanks for the comments, I see what you are both saying and I had the same feeling that the first one is washed out. I wonder if that could be due to using +2.3 EV on that shot? Maybe I should have went for a little shorter shutter speed and to not crank up the EV so much. That gives me something to try next time to compare. I will try to push the black level up and see if that helps.
    Cheers,
    Patrick

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    The second shot had no filter at all on the lens where as the first had a UV filter, I'm assuming that the UV filter is the reason the lights don't have the nice star form like in the second shot?
    Hi Patrik,

As written, I am slightly confused about which version of star burst you prefer; that in first, or second, shot?

Regardless, I doubt the UV filter caused the difference;
    Aperture used probably would, but you think they are both f/16
    Another factor is just the size of the point source of light when it hits the sensor, the first shot is much wider angle and the correspondingly smaller points have given a more smudged star/halo style. The second is more detailed due to longer focal length employed and it is also slightly less exposed, this has given more defined points to the stars.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Patrick

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I prefer the star burst in the second photo, in the first it's too smudged as you say, I like it to be more defined. The second photo could be up to f/22, I'm not sure since I was taking quite a few photos and the aperture doesn't get recorded when using the old Canon lens. I will remember your tips and try to get the same effect with the other lens.

Cheers,
    Patrick