Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Two Canon Powershot pics for gentle critique

Real Name
    John

Two Canon Powershot pics for gentle critique

Hi All

I will bite the bullet and upload a couple of photos for comment that I took with my Powershot.
    Please be gentle with me

water-feature3.jpg

other-pool3.jpg

Walshy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th July 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Transferred pics for crit to new thread and add images inline

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Two Canon Powershot pics for gentle critique

Hi Walshy,

Well most of the problems with these shots are arguably not your fault, they´re down to the lens mostly.

There is significant barrel distortion on both and chromatic aberration in the second.
    Both faults, with practice, are largely correctable in post processing, given the right software.

In an ideal world, you needed to be back a bit more, or have a slightly wider lens as there are portions of both pictures marginally chopped off/off-centre.

I won´t comment any more technically as I´m not on my normal monitor this evening.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Will

With a cannon powershot, you might want to check out the CHDK to squeeze more out of the camera if you havent already http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK . Ive never tried using it myself, but then ive never had a powershot...

w.r.t the pictures, ill mostly agree with dave, the first has some obvious barel distortion, and a couple of steps back would help the foreground frame everything a bit better. In the second the horizon looks a little off the level

Not realy a lot wrong here. Agree with the previous comments plus the first image has a thin strip of shadow appearing on the right side near the bottom, which I would clone out as I find it distracting.

With the second photo I would consider cropping the top and left side to remove that horizontal partial top panel. I say consider because it is one of those try it and see decisions.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Walshy,

Well most of the problems with these shots are arguably not your fault, they´re down to the lens mostly.

There is significant barrel distortion on both and chromatic aberration in the second.
    Both faults, with practice, are largely correctable in post processing, given the right software.

In an ideal world, you needed to be back a bit more, or have a slightly wider lens as there are portions of both pictures marginally chopped off/off-centre.

I won´t comment any more technically as I´m not on my normal monitor this evening.

Hope that helps,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I think the distortion come about because I was using a wide angle lens adapter for that shot. I no longer use the Powershot as I have progressed to a Canon 1000D.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Not realy a lot wrong here. Agree with the previous comments plus the first image has a thin strip of shadow appearing on the right side near the bottom, which I would clone out as I find it distracting.

With the second photo I would consider cropping the top and left side to remove that horizontal partial top panel. I say consider because it is one of those try it and see decisions.
    Thanks for your comments Geoff. I have cropped the top left side of the second picture as you suggested and it has centralised everything in the shot and improved it. I will work on the shadow you pointed out in the first shot because since you pointed it out it does stand out.
    Thanks

Walshy
    Can I edit and repost you first photo
    john

Real Name
    John

Sure John. I have edited them since I posted. I did lens corrections and sharpening on both as well as cropping on the second pic after Geoff F's advise in an earlier post.

Two Canon Powershot pics for gentle critiqueI have removed the barrel distortion using transform/warp
    removed the highlights in the foreground using patch tool
    colour matched the water left and right sides using curves
    cloned in a new top to the first arch clone tool/transform scale
    crop to improve the symmetry
    good photo.
    john

Real Name

Good effort John,

I thought I was the only here who would expend that much creative cloning effort on a shot.
    Worth it though, nice to see 'the point'.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

I agree with Dave good effort John. I have used cloning a fair bit but I not quite sure how you got the top of the arch. Did you just clone from each side until you got an intersection?
    Regards
    Walshy

Walshy
    To get the top to meet I just used the clone stamp tool.If you do not want me to post some of my work in your post let me know and I will remove it
    john

Dave
    If the customer is willing to pay for the time I would spend whatever time it takes to produce what they want. I had a customer ask for a photo of the forth bridge without the scaffolding
    as this would have involved a nine hour drive plus shooting time plus edit time the customer took the shot and sent it to me,the edit time for this photo seven hours.

Both photo are from the same shot
    john

Real Name

Hi John,

Now I know why/how you're good at it - plenty of practice

Good result on the bridge pic.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Hi John
    Only too happy for you to post your work here. It's great to see what can be done.
    Walshy