Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sending Large Files...

Real Name
    Richard

Sending Large Files...

I remember that Colin has told us how to do this in the past but, I cannot find the post.

I have had the need to forward large files to a lady who is editing a slide show for Maltese rescue. The images will be projected rather large so I wanted to provide her with the largest files possible. I ended up burning the files to a DVD and sending them to her by snail mail.

However, I just remembered Colins comments about sending large files. Would you pease reeducate me, Colin?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sending Large Files...

Richard

Set up a free account on Mediafire (there are others as well).

Upload your files and then capture the link URL

Mail the URL to your friend and she can then download.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Donald... That is just what I needed. I will set up the account.

Obvously, this was a last minute request and I got it third or fourth hand and never have been able to communicate with the lady who is actually doing the slideshow for the American Maltese Associaton which will be viewed during the American Maltese Association Specialty Show in about a week.

The lady who asked me to supply the pictures, said, "Oh they don't have to be good quality!" However, everyone in the organization knows that I do most of the shooting and virtually all the PP for Maltese Rescue. I certainly don't want my images to look bad simply because I didn't supply a decent size file...

Real Name
    Mario

Richard: When I need to send files to someone who is in computer at that time I set up a temporary HTTP server instance of thttpd or lighttp instance and ask the person to pull from my computer, FTP can also be used.

You can encode the images with JPEG 2000 in lossless mode using ImageMagick, the same software can be used to convert them to another more popular format like PNG, TIFF, JPEG, etc...

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks for the help gentlemen! I hate doing a job when I get the information 3rd or 4th hand.

I remember, early in my Navy Photo days, working in the print room of a Navy Photo Lab. We received a job order for 100 8x12 inch prints. We ended up cutting down 11x14 inch semi matte double weight paper for that job which was a lot of extra effort and expense.

When the customer picked up the prints, he remarked, "Why aren't these professional glossy prints?" When he was told that we needed to cut down 11x14 inch paper for that job because we didn't stock glossy 11x14 inch paper; he replied "Oh, isn't 8x12 inch your standard size?"

He actually wanted standard 8x10 inch prints but when he submitted the request for 8x12 inch prints, the front office never asked him about the strange size...

The last time I used one of these free uploading services, not Mediafire, I got so much spam as a result of doing it I said never again and burn everything to a DVD now.

Possibly, Mediafire is different but I remain sceptical until proven safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The last time I used one of these free uploading services, not Mediafire, I got so much spam as a result of doing it I said never again and burn everything to a DVD now.

Another option might be Google Picasa Web Albums, where you get 1Gb of free space and no junk mail.

Ken

Real Name
    Mario

Richard, Geoff: Use a spam eater service like http://mailinator.com/.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post

Geoff - I've certainly never had a problem with Mediafire.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Hacker View Post
    Richard, Geoff: Use a spam eater service like http://mailinator.com/.
    I have a fairly strict spam filter on both my server and browser which means that they have to include a return address. So I start spamming the spammers. Threatening to send them ten times the amount they send me.

Eventually they stop sending me stuff; but I would sooner not have it in the first place.

However, maybe Mediafire is better than those which I have previously used. I will give them a try next time I need to upload a large file.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Mediafire.com worked well for me, but these days I'm using Googe Drive (drive.google.com). Www.sendthisfile.com was what I used to use, but I've been told they want a credit card for trial accounts now.