Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Vacancy!

Vacancy!

Made a quick stop on the beach today in Biloxi, Ms to try out my new 2 stop ND filter. C & C most welcome. Yea I know the sun was very high in the sky also wanted to see if there was going to be any kind of a tint. I did put a little structure in the white clouds and dropped the exposure just a tad along with a few other adjustments. I wanted to capture the emptiness of the beach along with the colors of the umbrella's and benches in a way that was attractive.
    Vacancy!
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 18th May 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Vacancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    I wanted to capture the emptiness of the beach along with the colors of the umbrella's and benches in a way that was attractive.
    And I think you have done that very successfully. I like it a lot.

I also think that there are some shots that work better when you do have a high sun. If you had done this earlier or later, you would have had longer shadows and I don't think that would have worked for this.

I would make a suggestion - How about cropping (or cloning) to take that tall building out at the back, right on the left-hand edge? It just sort-of doesn't belong in the image, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Donald; 19th May 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice shot and well processed.

Real Name
    glenn

Great shot carl I love the colours you have captured, and also the shadow under every single bench .

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And I think you have done that very successfully. I like it a lot.

I also think that there are some shots that work better when you do have a high sun. If you had done this earlier or later, you would have had longer shadows and I don't think that would have worked for this.

I would make a suggestion - How about cropping (or cloning) to take that tall building out at the back, right on the left-hand edge? It just sort-of doesn't belong in the image, in my opinion.
    Thanks Donald for replying. I was hoping that it would be a likable shot to some.

I agree with you 100% on that darn building it is the one thing I missed when looking at this shot and sure there are others but not like this one.
    Cropping I could do and had tried it, but it took out the last couple of umbella's and it didn't look right to me then.

Cloning...well that means I am going to have to learn that trick in PSE 10 a software I have yet to delve into. My brain has been on over load from LR4 and the Nik software, but loving it. Will take time a little later on to get into that project as right now it is graduation time for the kids here and I have been busy with family. Tuesday and it will be over with for a year so will have time then. Looks like a rainy day project in the future.
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 19th May 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Nice shot and well processed.
    Thank you for replying Bobo. A very welcomed comment on my PP skills as I still do not rate them very highly myself. Thank you Kindly Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by stardelta View Post
    Great shot carl I love the colours you have captured, and also the shadow under every single bench .
    Thanks for replying Glenn. It did take some time to get into the right place to get everything just as I wanted to capture it. I have been forcing myself to stop look and think about what I am looking at much closer before clicking the shutter button. Thank you for noticing and I am glad you liked it. Thank you.

Her is a go at it with the building cropped out and the sand toned down a notch as I thought it to be on the bright side.

Vacancy!

Hummmm not sure about the sand now that I see it on the forum.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Carl

I think you were right all along. The crop doesn't work. Pushes the flag too close to the left edge. And I prefer the the sand in the original. Makes it feel much more exotic. The bright colours of the beach umbrellas need the sand to be that bright as well, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Carl

And I prefer the the sand in the original. Makes it feel much more exotic. The bright colours of the beach umbrellas need the sand to be that bright as well, I think.
    Your right I like the sand in the original better also, plus the original is the way the sand looked at that time of day. Will work on the cloning later on. Thanks again Donald.