Thread: First shots with new 7D

Real Name
    Karl

First shots with new 7D

I have just purchased a new Canon 7D and had a chance today to try it out.

Comments welcomed

Karl

6:20 am - Henderson Boats Yards just before sunrise. I had to crop this a bit to get rid of distracting stuff in the foreground.

First shots with new 7D

Shoalwater Bay at sunset

First shots with new 7D

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: First shots with new 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I have just purchased a new Canon 7D and had a chance today to try it out.
    Congratulations. A great tool, by all accounts

First shots with new 7D
    A good idea, but I think we needed to be able to see more detail in the superstructure of that ship that is side-on to us. It is very bright. I'm not sure there is much of it that's completely blown, so you would be able to recover some definition by, say, burning that area. You could also take the levels down.

This, I think, is an example of one of those where work with the camera and in port-processing has got to work together to produce the final image

First shots with new 7D
    A couple of thoughts about this one that I hope help:
    • The horizon is close to half way line and I'm not sure that's it's level (need to check it)
    • The exposure is good on the sky, but I think the rest is under exposed. Do you have access to ND Grads?
    • The water and the boats seem soft to me. Not sure why. Don't think it's motion blur. Did you sharpen this? I can't see the Exif so don't know what aperture you used. Where do you think the focus point was?

Real Name
    Karl

Re: First shots with new 7D

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your comments.

Will have a bit more of a play around with the first one to see what I can do don't spend too much time PP in PSE 9 but I guess there are those occassions when I should. The settings for this shot were F8 @ 10 sec ISO 100. Also I cropped this one a bit to get rid of some distracting foreground.

The second shot the setting are F9 @ 1/30 sec ISO 100. From memory I was trying to focus on the boat in the middle and was probaly concentrating on the focus too much and forgot about the horizon

Anyway more practice in my own is needed

Karl