Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Returning to old images.

Real Name
    Steve

Returning to old images.

In February 2010 I only had basic equipment so had the idea of re-doing an old panorama using superior post processing such as deconvolution, ACR, Photoshop and Topaz ect.

I think I prefer the original; was it worth the effort?

The new:

Returning to old images.

The old:

Returning to old images.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Returning to old images.

Hi Steve! Are you asking 'was it worth the effort' - to see how much you've learned, to practice your PP skills, to see in detail what you might change in taking your next shot of this type, to see if the image is worth saving....? My feeling is that there is benefit to all of these things but here is the catch - it's your image and your effort! The only one that can really answer that question is you.

On the other hand, this shows that you have significantly improved your PP skills and I happen to like the after much better than the before, for what that may be worth to you! My bet is that from this exercise, you can now come up with a long list of 'what if' questions that can help take you to the next level of expertise in both shooting and post processing.

Real Name
    Homer

The hazey look of your original composition is nice, but the newer process clearly does a better job. You could now take the new image and add a slective blur to it, possibly to get an even better image.

These newer tools do add new life to old images. I upgraded my camera raw processor to the new '2012 engine' in Lr4 and it finds detail that couldn't be seen with the old CS4 engine and does so with less noise. This is one of the lesser appreciated benefits of digital photography and using RAW imaging.

Agree with Frank. It is certainly worthwhile from a self development point of view - plus I prefer the new image. haze and fog work well in many images but I don't think your original is one of them. I much prefer the new version.

Real Name
    Steve

Thankyou Frank, Dan and Homer. I think now I would capture more detail by exposing to the right and also would try a less bleak day.

The processing was a lot easier than with the original; I can remember that took a lot of effort but I can't manage the haze although I haven't tried selective blur.

Interesting.