Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lens Focus Test

Real Name
    John

Lens Focus Test

I'm testing the focus accuracy of my lens and wonder if this shot is helpful or did I influence my eyes by using an f/7.1 aperture?
    The lens is the Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G so shooting wide open would only lessen the degree of sharpness associated with the aperture only slightly. The camera is the Nikon D60 so I only have three focus indicators. I was using a bit of panning and these people were walking at a steady pace, so that may have given the appearance of DOF.

Lens Focus Test

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Lens Focus Test

Hi John,
    There's only one way to check the focus and that's the proper way. Have a look around the web for a focus chart (there's plenty out there), download it and print it off. Set up the chart at 45 degrees at (or near) the closest focusing distance for your lens and set the aperture to max. (f4). The camera needs to be on a stable platform, like a tripod.
    Focus on the centre of the chart and have a look at the result on the LCD screen. Zoom in and see where the focus actually is (front or back focus).
    From this point on I can't help you because I don't know if the D60 has focus correction. Most cameras these days do, so check your manual which will tell you how to adjust your camera for that lens. It's not hard.
    Re-do the test to confirm it's on the money and happy shooting.

Real Name
    Andrew

Alternatively, if you'd rather buy one....

http://dpnow.com/7926.html

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by krispix View Post
    Hi John,
    There's only one way to check the focus and that's the proper way. Have a look around the web for a focus chart (there's plenty out there), download it and print it off. Set up the chart at 45 degrees at (or near) the closest focusing distance for your lens and set the aperture to max. (f4). The camera needs to be on a stable platform, like a tripod.
    Focus on the centre of the chart and have a look at the result on the LCD screen. Zoom in and see where the focus actually is (front or back focus).
    From this point on I can't help you because I don't know if the D60 has focus correction. Most cameras these days do, so check your manual which will tell you how to adjust your camera for that lens. It's not hard.
    Re-do the test to confirm it's on the money and happy shooting.
    Thanks for the response Chris. I've tried the focusing chart and everything seems to be in order. The D60 doesn't have a focus correction feature but it does have an electronic rangefinder that I can use to get spot on focusing, just a bit more effort required using it when trying to photograph fast moving subjects.