Thread: Advice needed with possible mirror mark on my camera

Real Name
    glenn

Advice needed with possible mirror mark on my camera

Hi guys I have just gone to take a few shots with my camera, and noticed a small black mark on my view finder .
    At 1st I thought it was on my lens, but after removing lens and looking in my viewfinder it was still there.
    What is puzzling me though, is it doesnt show up on my images.
    Any help would be appreciated

I am guessing it is a bit of muck or dust, but why doesn't it show up on my photo's.
    And what can i do about it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Advice needed with possible mirror mark on my camera

It's always possible that there is a bit of material that has made its way onto your focusing screen. This has always been a bit of an issue with SLRs (not just DSLRs). Usually this gets on there from something that has entered your mirror chamber and when I get this I will try to gently remove it using some compressed gas or a puffer. Make sure your shutter is down as you don't want this contaminant to get onto your AA filter and your images. This is main reason I try to get rid of it because I don't want this to get onto my images. This is an unfortunate side effect of being able to change lenses.

I've also seen contamination get between the focusing screen and the pentaprism. Get them to remove that the next time your camera goes in for servicing. That is not something you can do yourself.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

9 times out of 10 it's crud on the focusing screen. Most are easily removed and cleaned, but it does require a small "leap of faith" the first couple of times you do it.

What model camera do you have?

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    9 times out of 10 it's crud on the focusing screen. Most are easily removed and cleaned, but it does require a small "leap of faith" the first couple of times you do it.

What model camera do you have?
    eos 1100d Colin

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    It's always possible that there is a bit of material that has made its way onto your focusing screen. This has always been a bit of an issue with SLRs (not just DSLRs). Usually this gets on there from something that has entered your mirror chamber and when I get this I will try to gently remove it using some compressed gas or a puffer. Make sure your shutter is down as you don't want this contaminant to get onto your AA filter and your images. This is main reason I try to get rid of it because I don't want this to get onto my images. This is an unfortunate side effect of being able to change lenses.

I've also seen contamination get between the focusing screen and the pentaprism. Get them to remove that the next time your camera goes in for servicing. That is not something you can do yourself.
    Thankyou manfred, I didn't have any compressed air,except in body , so i took a deep breath and blew, trying not to spit at the same time.
    It seems to have done the trick. Thanks again