Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: White Orchid...C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Joe

White Orchid...C&C Appreciated

Today I photographed this white phalenopsis orchid. After post processing the image with a black background I used post crop vignetting to lighten the corners and edges of the image. While post crop vignetting is normally used to darken the corners of a image to draw the viewers attention to the subject I think in this case the opposite is effective. Any critique and comments are welcomed.

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: White Orchid...C&C Appreciated

I don't often look long at flower photos Joe but this one did Make me look. It's not often I see a white vignette and it works very well with this subject making it a stronger photo. It does pull you in to the center. I find however that right after that first grab for your attention, the green stem drags me off to the side. Subduing the green would help I think. For flower shots, how acceptable is it to remove the stem all together?

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    I don't often look long at flower photos Joe but this one did Make me look. It's not often I see a white vignette and it works very well with this subject making it a stronger photo. It does pull you in to the center. I find however that right after that first grab for your attention, the green stem drags me off to the side. Subduing the green would help I think. For flower shots, how acceptable is it to remove the stem all together?
    Thank you for viewing and commenting Andrew. I agree that the green stem does attrack attention from the flowers. Here is a quick version with the stem cloned out. I appreciate your thoughtfulness to point that out. That is what makes this forum so important in improving one's vision and photography. I am interested in what others think.

Real Name
    Sharon

Am not bothered at all by the green stem but there are little whitish bits under the middle blooms that need tidied up and I can still see traces of the cloned out stem.

Try looking at it from different angles and you will see them.

Very good shot of the orchids...clear and sharp.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Daisy, I will take a closer look at it. I did it in a hurry to post here. Thank you for viewing and commenting.

Real Name
    randy

I may be a rebel here, but really prefer the stem shot

Real Name
    Andrew

It does look a bit disjointed without the stem. Flowers don't float. It's nice that it's easy to try though. Perhaps just subdue the rather bright green in the original. Still a good one Joe!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joe,

I agree about the stem, I don't much like 'floating' flowers.

I would try a subtle decreasing the brightness towards the end and a similarly 'grade applied' blur.

I wasn't convinced about the white vignette, but I don't see what other option there is and I think it is 'growing on me' the longer I view this

Nice composition and exposure.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks everyone for your comments and viewing. I considered each and every comment to arrive at the final version. Below I have posted a copy of the image as straight out of the camera and a copy of the final version. I did this for those that might be interested to see how for me a photograph becomes a image to save. As having begun photography when film and transparency was the only way I cannot say enough to praise digital and post processing software. Thank you all for the help in seeing this image to it's fulfillment.