Thread: Hummingbird

Real Name
    Paul

Hummingbird

This is the Father to the Juvenille I posted in the previous thread..... The youngsters

Hummingbird

Real Name
    Clive

Re: Hummingbird

Well done Paul a very good capture. The only thing bothering me is the background as it takes my attention away from the subject which is a big shame.

Real Name
    Paul

I absolutely agree Clive. The background was much better in the Juvenille shot. I still like this one ok as I feel there is some seperation but I will be aiming to better it as the season goes. Thank you for the comments.

Real Name
    Andy

Thats great Paul. Must be hard to get a good picture of them, those wings must be flapping rather fast!

Real Name
    Trev

I'm not going to criticise the photo, these birds are on my list of "Want to photo" and the fact that you have not only got the shot but also frozen the wing movement is fantastic, nicely done

Real Name
    Joe

Nice work Paul. I agree with you concerning the separation between the hummingbird and the background. Good focus and detail in the bird and the background far enough away that it is blurred.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Great wok Paul, you have frozen this bird nicely. I too would love to capture the Humming Bird but it must take a lot of patience, skill and persistence.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks guys, they can be a source of frustration, A couple of tricks I use might help you out.....get to know their song, when you here him...most times he is sitting when singing and will sit close to where he is feeding. Usually in the top area of shorter trees...but not always. Once located watch were he is feeding....he will usually return to both spots much like a dragonfly does.

Once you find them you sit and wait sometimes not long at all. Be ready and when he comes in fallow his movement until he hovers in a good spot long enough to rattle of a shot or three. I use F8 and around 1/500sec for some slight blur to the wings and 1/1000 to freeze sharply usually about 1/1250 give or take.

You can also set up a feeder or search an active one out but I prefer to find mine out and about on flowers. Which can make it more challenging to get a good background. Good luck and happy hunting.