Thread: my first night shots

Real Name
    Mei

my first night shots

my first night shots

my first night shots

these are my first night shots...Just a first time photography enthusiast, the first one is taken at the park and the second one is the moon river. Your observation will help boost my improvement. Thank you and Godspeed to all.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: my first night shots

For first time shots, I think these are very good.

You have exposed them well, meaning that noise is well under control.

I think we could perhaps discuss some aspects of the composition (for example, I think the balance of light and shade in the second one is not as good as it could be, with all the light on one side and all the shade on the other), but I do not think that is the most important factor at this stage.

Good work.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Mei

I agree with everthing Donald said. Also a couple of suggestions :-

I notice you've used aperture settings of f4 and f5.6 respectively for these images. I would have used something like f11 to get greater depth of focus for these shots as they really need the whole scene to be reasonably sharp.

I'm not sure whether you used auto or manual focus but I would use manual focus for shots like this. Put your camera in live view mode and zoom in on the area you want to have the sharpest focus. In this case I probably would have set the focus on the sails in image 1 and the second arch wall in image 2.

You used ISO 200 for the first shot and ISO 100 for the second. You may as well just use ISO 100 for shots like this because you will have a long exposure and need a tripod anyway.

Keep shooting.

Dave

Real Name
    Mei

hi donald and dave,

thank you very much for your suggestions i will do it on my succeeding photos...i will be looking forward for more suggestions and i am very much flattered for your untiring support to us newbies.. thank you and God Bless.. more power!!!