Thread: Eye-Fi cards

Real Name
    Russell

Eye-Fi cards

Hi, Ok never used one, never seen one in the flesh so no NOTHING about them apart from they use wi-fi to transfer data.
    So I have a Canon 1Ds MK II and to attach to a computer you need a firewire connection, most small notebooks/laptops etc don't have firewire connections and are far to big to carry around the countryside, but the camera does have the the option to have both CF & SD cards inserted at the same time, so if I use an Eye-Fi card how quickly do they transfer RAW files from the card to a laptop so you can view them in the field. Also can you use bluetooth to transfer with these cards?
    As stated I no NOTHING about these at all.
    Thanks for any help
    Russ

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Re: Eye-Fi cards

I purchased one of these for a small compact (do large compacts exist?) I own - after installing the software on my laptop and configuring a simple network (all explained step by step) I took a photo with the compact and sure enough, it started to send itself to the laptop.

Problems occur when the camera goes to sleep - it snores less than me, but the transfer stops - note to self: change sleep delay.

I was using this with files that averaged 3mb - and each one takes a little while (can't remember exactly) to transfer - however I imagine RAW files of 22mb (that I shoot in my DSLR) would take a L O N G time...

This said, it does stack the files so assuming you've taken 5 shots it'll send one after the other (assuming the camera hasn't gone to sleep...)

Major drawback (for me) the cards are not available as Compact Flash and I can't use SD in my DSLR (and no, the CF/SD adaptors are too thick to go into the CF slots in my camera)

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by darkslide View Post
    I purchased one of these for a small compact (do large compacts exist?) I own - after installing the software on my laptop and configuring a simple network (all explained step by step) I took a photo with the compact and sure enough, it started to send itself to the laptop.

Problems occur when the camera goes to sleep - it snores less than me, but the transfer stops - note to self: change sleep delay.

I was using this with files that averaged 3mb - and each one takes a little while (can't remember exactly) to transfer - however I imagine RAW files of 22mb (that I shoot in my DSLR) would take a L O N G time...

This said, it does stack the files so assuming you've taken 5 shots it'll send one after the other (assuming the camera hasn't gone to sleep...)

Major drawback (for me) the cards are not available as Compact Flash and I can't use SD in my DSLR (and no, the CF/SD adaptors are too thick to go into the CF slots in my camera)
    Hi, Ian thanks for the reply, no worries for CF or SD with the 1Ds takes both.
    Russ

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

A pleasure.

I think the major problem I had was that I only really tested it fairly close to where the computer was - and as such, every time I took a test shot it sent the file.

I rather get the impression that the real intention is to leave the images on the card, and when you get home, turn the camera on and let it transfer the files while you're doing other things.

This was not really an advantage for me as I can used tethered shooting if I want to, directly to a laptop and/or simply plug the camera into a computer (if I'm not using tethered shooting) both of which transfer the files much faster.

In fact, I can't really think why I bought it?

Real Name
    Robin

I use one regularly in a D300s (same CF/SD combination as your Canon) and it works very well. My card is the Pro one that supports Ad-Hoc transfer so I don't need a Wi-Fi hotspot to use it. The software is grim and a bit of a pain to get working but once running its very stable. The Nikon has firmware to handle an Eye-Fi card so I can turn it on and off via the menu - means it doesn't run the batteries down any faster when I don't need to use the wireless function.

Speed wise they're pretty slow so I tend to have the SD set up for jpegs and keep the RAW files on the CF for when I'm back home.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I'd be curious to hear when and why this would be a benefit? It has to drain some battery.

Does it transfer all the shots you take or just the ones you choose?

Does it give hackers/thieves the ability to determine when and where you're out shooting so they can walk off with your PC when you are not at home?

Real Name
    Robin

It transfers all the shots as you take them - sorry that's all I can answer as I don't understand your other questions.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Does it give hackers/thieves the ability to determine when and where you're out shooting so they can walk off with your PC when you are not at home?
    Actually I'm led to believe it gives accurate GPS coordinates for anyone who wants them...

Real Name
    Eugen

I am pretty sure that the camera needs the Eye-Fi settings in the menu in order to use it.
    From my experience, camera going to sleep does not break the transfer - as long as you still have photos to transfer, the transmission will go on.
    I think it uses a quite smart setting, you enable it, take the first photo, let it transfer. If you disable it, shoot more, then enable it back later, it will transfer all the pics taken meanwhile automatically; I use to do that all the time.

The transfer speed is not great and it might take about 10-20 seconds to transfer the raw file.

The Ad-Hoc network is pretty secure because its network passphrase is a long one and the range is small, possibly no more than 2 metres so no chance for anyone else to hack into.

It does consume battery but you can chose to enable it only when you need.

I have been thinking about getting one but couldn't come up with a valid reason beyond "it's cool". A wireless keyboard or mouse makes sense to me. I use them a lot and it saved clutter on the desk. But how long do I actually spend transferring files? Just minutes - so a wire on my desk for a few minutes per day isn't really going to hurt. Further more, if I am doing a shoot and want/need to review the shots as I take them, then I won't want to wait for a slow transfer. I will want to see them straight away and that means tethered via a cable.

I guess it might be useful if you are shooting jpeg and wanted to move the files to an tablet for others to look at, but I never shoot jpeg and don't own a tablet.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    I am pretty sure that the camera needs the Eye-Fi settings in the menu in order to use it.
    From my experience, camera going to sleep does not break the transfer - as long as you still have photos to transfer, the transmission will go on.
    Acually it does not require them. The card works fine in my D90, which does not have the setting and is not even recognized (with the latest Eye-Fi firmware update) in my D800, that does have the settings. Time to put in a service ticket on this one to Eye-Fi.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, OK folks would like to thank ALL who have replied.
    The reason I was thinking about getting one was that I have a small laptop that I take with me into the outside world but to use it a cable is required as you no and I thought this would do away of the cable Camera to laptop.
    Thanks Again
    Russ

Real Name
    Mike

I just read a review on this recently… The photographer found it most useful when paired with something like an iPad in the field… when traveling, its easy to show family and friends the pics that were just taken. He uses his CF card for his RAW images, and puts JPEG on the wi-fi card. More of a convenience feature. It was also used in a photo shoot to show the client/model the image so she could decide if she wanted a different look or pose… He also tried the iPad connected to the tripod with a mount to give a larger screen to look at while fiddling with the settings. Basically since more and more photogs seem to be using iPads for images, this is the easiest way to get the jpegs on there for quick viewing without having to bring a laptop and cords.

Personally, I can see the use with an iPad among family and friends while away from home. They seem to always want to see what I have taken so far.

Real Name
    Robin

Thats exactly how I use mine, the iPad is fast enough to edit full res files from a DSLR - even RAW images pose little problem though I usually just shove jpegs through the Eye-Fi card for speed.