Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pic of my dog in B&W

Pic of my dog in B&W

I was experimenting with some B&W photos, and liked this one. C&C welcome please.

Pic of my dog in B&W

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Pic of my dog in B&W

Don - I think that's almost a good one. Almost? Eyes.

It looks as if the dog's got its eyes closed. Now, that may be just because of the hair coming over them, but for someone who doesn't know the dog, it looks a bit strange.

Otherwise it's got the makings of a good image. You've done a good job on separating the dog out from the background and the exposure on the dog is good. I suppose you could ask whether all the space on the right hand side is necessary and whether you could crop to get tighter in on the dog.

Hope these few comments provide things for you to consider.

Thank you for the feedback Donald. I agree her eyes do look closed, but she was in need of a haircut at the time, and she has really long eyelashes too. I cropped the image to remove space on the right side. My original thought was to have her off-center but I see that removing much of the space around her makes it easier to focus on her.

Thank you again.

Pic of my dog in B&W

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Don - I think that's almost a good one. Almost? Eyes.

It looks as if the dog's got its eyes closed. Now, that may be just because of the hair coming over them, but for someone who doesn't know the dog, it looks a bit strange.

Otherwise it's got the makings of a good image. You've done a good job on separating the dog out from the background and the exposure on the dog is good. I suppose you could ask whether all the space on the right hand side is necessary and whether you could crop to get tighter in on the dog.

Hope these few comments provide things for you to consider.

Real Name
    Richard

Don,

What kind of a camera do you shoot with? I am asking this because I have found it extremely difficult to photograph dogs digitally with any other than a DSLR camera. I first started digital photography with an Olypus Point and Shoot. It was a pretty capable camera BUT, the lag time between pressing the shutter button and acquiring the image was just too long to get a decent picture of a dog. A dog is quite likely to move or to close its eyes in the lag time.

If you use live view, it could also be quite difficult to see whether the dogs eyes are open or closed. The dogs eyes, when viewed on a tiny 3-inch LCD are extremely tiny. Compound this with viewing the LCD from a foot or more away from your eyes can also make seeing whether the eyes are open or shut.

Some dogs are more difficult to shoot than others. Dogs with somewhat deep-set eyes and overhanging eyebrows are quite difficult. This is normally a problem when I shoot my Goldendoodle. She can often look like her eyes are closed when they are actually open.

Eyes are one of the most important aspects in portraiture, be it portraiture of animals or people. I always make sure that I can see the dog's eyes when I am shooting. I have found that my 7D with a close to 100% viewfinder helps me to see eyes. My former Rebel XT (Canon 350D) was a lot more difficult to view than are my x0D or 7D cameras.

Hi Richard,

I have been shooting with a Canon Rebel T2i. I've had it for about 4 months now and am really enjoying photography.

Thanks!