Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Foggy NYC Marina

Real Name
    Jason

Foggy NYC Marina

Hey all,

Heres a few from a few nights ago. Click to view large on any. Hope you guys like them

Foggy NYC Marina
    Foggy NYC Marina
    _DSC3712 by rhoads238, on Flickr

Foggy NYC Marina
    _DSC3711 by rhoads238, on Flickr

Im not sure which of these two worked better. I lean toward the less vibrant one for the overall mood but we'll see what you guys think

Breakwater

Foggy NYC Marina
    _DSC3531 by rhoads238, on Flickr

Dog walk

Foggy NYC Marina
    _DSC3790 by rhoads238, on Flickr

Night out
    Foggy NYC Marina
    _DSC3673 by rhoads238, on Flickr

I wish i had a few more f stops for this one but alas I didn't have enough iso to permit that.

C&C always welcome

-Jason
    Last edited by Rhoads238; 7th May 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Foggy NYC Marina

Hi Jason

The marina shots work well for me and I also prefer the mood in the second. I find the breakwater shot quite effective too. Not so keen on the dog walk and the night out shot's OK but perhaps a bit noisy. It's a tricky shot the last one - you cant have too slow a shutter speed otherwise the people will be blurred. I don't know what aperture value you used but if you have the lens too wide open you will probably have too shallow DOF and the shop fronts will be out of focus.

Hope you don't mind me being frank !

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

This is going to be confusing Jason, I'm another Dave, but the first one is 'frank'

To make things worse, I prefer the first of the two marina shots, the second reminds me of those framed pictures you see in tourist shops (in UK) with LEDs in place of the building lights.

"Breakwater" is intriguing, no sense of scale, in fact I can't even say for sure if they are timber or concrete. But strangely interesting.

"Dog walk" is vertically 'camera shook' and I also don't like the too blurry dog & walker, perhaps a faster shutter speed to have a bit more form and shape to them?

I can't say anything more helpful than Dave on the "Night out", although looking at the EXIF on Flickr reveals; Nikon D90, 1/15s, f/4.8, iso 4000, 48mm, so if that were the kit 18-55mm lens, you probably were already wide open on aperture. Being super-critical, it might stand a jot of clockwise rotation too.

So the first and third, in that order, are my favourites - very nice compositions.

Hope that helps,

Jason,

On the marina shots, while both are good, I slightly prefer the second. The fog is more evident, and the cooler color gives more of a foggy feeling.

Gene

Real Name
    Jason

oh no two Daves! except one is Frank and the other is... not frank? I can't even think of a pun I'm so confused.

anyways, Dave, I agree with what your saying about the tourist shop quality of the second shot but Im going to have to agree with Dave about the mood. and Dave, people buy photos in tourist shops, often times paying too much, which to be on the recieving end is a good thing. oh and by the way Dave, the pilings in "breakwater" are wood. This is evident in the color version. Which by the way almost looks like a electron microscope shot of beard stubble because of the reflected light from near by Jersey City.

Alas moving on. Dog walk i'm not that thrilled with after looking at it again today. sometimes that happens. And night out leaves me wishing I had a better camera. Granted I missed getting the focus on the couple as a technical error. If I had better iso performance i could gone a few stops down and easily got them in sharp focus. .

Thanks for the responses everyone.

-Jason