Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portable LCD Monitors for DSLR's

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Portable LCD Monitors for DSLR's

There are some small HDMI connected LCD monitors around (typically 5" or 7") which can fit on the hot shoe of a DSLR. eg Sony CML-V55

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these and if they are any good ? I think they are probably designed more for video use than still work but nevertheless there are times when I would like to have a bigger view for checking shots, particularly before leaving a site that I will not be able to come back to.

I suppose the other option is to take a small notebook around and download to that on site.

I'd appreciate any feedback thanks.

Dave

Real Name
    Russell

Re: Portable LCD Monitors for DSLR's

Hi, Looked into the same thing myself and ended up with a small notebook. Be careful as dependent on what camera you use you made need firewire and some portable devises do not have that connection.
    Russ

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

These devices are used for shooting video. You will find that connecting to a laptop or tablet will give you higher resolution for a lot less money. The cheaper ones have 640 x 480 displays and the better ones are quite pricey. I do have a cheaper on as part of my external drive system for video and frankly it is a pain to use anywhere other than indoors. The screen is not all that bright and fingerprints do make things worse (it's a touchscreen) .

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Russell and Manfred for your feedback. The more I look at it the more I come to the conclusion that a notebook is the way to go.

Dave

Real Name
    Eugen

You should consider a tablet too Dave.
    It's very easy to do tethered shooting and the screen is 10' usually

You can't mount it on the hotshoe but it's easy to hold it. Plus, if you have a Canon which supports Eye-Fi cards, you can have the pics automatically transferred to the tablet once the capture is finished. I am using one of these and I find it very handy sometime.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    You should consider a tablet too Dave.
    It's very easy to do tethered shooting and the screen is 10' usually
    Eugen, have a feeling you meant 10". If your camera uses a SD card then the Eye-Fi works well. Unfortunately mine uses a CF card and the CF-to-SD card converters either do not work or are erratic and can damage the Eye-Fi card.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Eugen and John for your comments. Co-incidentally I have been looking into tablets this morning. Their portability is a big plus. I have a Canon 600D (Rebel T3i) which according to the handbook does support Eye-Fi cards. I must have a look into these.

Thanks again

Dave

Real Name
    Eugen

Well John, I'm born and raised in a metric world I was just lazy enough to not search for the right simbol.
    Thanks for pointing that out - I'll keep it in mind.

Dave, if you consider an Eye-Fi card - be sure you'll get the type which supports "Direct Connection" because that's what it will be using to talk to the tablet. The setup might be a little tricky but if I can, I'll help.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    Well John, I'm born and raised in a metric world I was just lazy enough to not search for the right simbol.
    Thanks for pointing that out - I'll keep it in mind.

Dave, if you consider an Eye-Fi card - be sure you'll get the type which supports "Direct Connection" because that's what it will be using to talk to the tablet. The setup might be a little tricky but if I can, I'll help.
    Thanks for the offer Eugen. I'll let you know if I go ahead with Eye-Fi.

Dave