Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Looking for constructive criticism

Looking for constructive criticism

I just got into photography and thought I'd try it out. I only have a Canon PowerShot A620 and only used it once. I took what I learned and applied it to take pictures of my dog (Lumiere). I am only providing edited images and if someone wants the original to see what was done and suggest what should be done, just let me know. Thanks.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Looking for constructive criticism

I like the first one particularly becuase it took me awhile to work out what it was, and you getting down to Lumiere's level :-) I would crop the second one to just below his whiskers and likewise the third which could be cropped top and sides to preserve the format if that is important to you.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 4th May 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Re: Looking for constructive criticism

With a black and white dog plus a white foreground you clearly had exposure problems here.

Probably your only hope for shots like this is to find a spot with good, but not over bright, light and expose for the highlights. Using a bit of exposure compensation may be necessary.

It may produce dark shadows but you can, to some extent, recover those with editing.

And, yes, a crop will certainly help with those shots.