Thread: PP Challenge #12

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

PP Challenge #12

Welcome to a very special PP Challenge #12

The closing date for entries into this thread is 1st June 2012.

Wendy (ScoutR) who won the last Challenge didn't have an image available suitable for this challenge, so I have sourced this from elsewhere (details to be revealed later).

But you have a very specific remit to fulfill with this challenge
    (and this is exactly how it was for this shot).

You have been commissioned by a film production company who are making a movie, to produce stills of this 'thing'/vehicle for use in the movie publicity/marketing materials. You will be named as the photographer in the movie credits.

So, this is a strictly commercial shoot. You have to produce the goods for someone who's going to pay you money for what you produce. You've made this photograph. Now you have to post-process it into the final product to present to the producer of the movie.

At the end of voting, the photographer will show us the will show us the final image that was used by the movie company.

Although there will be a vote, the idea is not to be competitive, but to engage in a learning process. So, discussions and exchanges of views as we go along, are encouraged, although it would be helpful to avoid the 'Wow', 'I love it' type posts if we can.

And the image?

PP Challenge #12

You can download:
    The DNG file (18Mb) here
    A TIFF version (120Mb) here
    And a JPG (1Mb) version is here

The culture and values of CiC as embraced by its members makes the need for over-formalisation of procedures & guidelines largely unnecessary. However, we cannot always know who is joining the forum and some formalisation is required, particularly to protect the work of the person who has offered the image for post-processing.

These procedures are:-

• You download the image, process it and then post it back up to this thread.
    • Photographs should be posted in this thread before the closing date (don't leave it too late).
    • No voting allowed for your own entry.
    • Each entrant will be allowed one submission.
    • All entrants must work on the file made available for download (at the bottom of this post). Any other image posted into the thread will be deleted.
    • Entrants may use appropriately licensed images to assist in the creative process, but the original must remain the basis of the finshed product and the entered image be a representation of that original.
    • The image file made available for the challenge will remain the sole property of the person who made it available for the purpose, under a Creative Commons SA Licence. A full copy of the licence can be viewed here

Any person downloading the image offered for editing in this challenge, whether they submit an entry in the challenge or not, is deemed to accept the terms of the licence and to be bound by it.

A decision to pursue a claim against anyone breaching the terms of the licence shall be a matter solely for the copyright holder; i.e. the member who offered the image for download in this challenge. ‘Cambridge in Colour’ cannot be held responsible or liable for any breach of the Creative Commons SA Licence.

NB - The best way of dealing with this formality is to resolve that the only thing you will do with the image you downloaded is work on it for entry in this challenge and that you WILL NOT use it for any other purpose.

Voting, Choosing the next image file and telling us How You Did It:-

When announced, voting (open to any member) will be by Private Message (PM) to Donald, over a period of two days or so. This will ask you simply to say which you think demonstrates best PP skills and artistic presentation. Automated voting may be introduced at a later stage.

The ‘winner’ of one challenge will be asked to provide an image for the next challenge, or delegate that ‘honour’ to a Mod. The ‘winner’ will also be invited to tell us what they did (so keep a note).

Have fun ... and good luck!
    Last edited by Donald; 4th May 2012 at 12:04 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Postage

My entry ( I do get carried away in photoshop )

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 9th May 2012 at 03:41 PM.

Real Name
    Ron

Wait for me, dad!

Just for fun ... but you never know

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 9th May 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Real Name
    Ron Atkinson

A flying (as in speed) machine

A real futuristic flying machine

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 9th May 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Real Name
    Shawn

The champ!

I decided to go a different direction with this one
    PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 9th May 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Real Name
    John

Invasion of London

PP Challenge #12

Real Name
    Farhan R. Naqvi

Re: Invasion of London

The Ice Knight
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PP Challenge #12

Real Name
    Vinod K Pillai

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 9th May 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Real Name
    James

Need For Speed

Utilizing Filters and the creation of objects. Just having a little fun with it.

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 15th May 2012 at 04:21 PM.

bubble wrap

PP Challenge #12

A little experimental with artistic bubble wrap.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th May 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Real Name
    mehere

Canine Killer Cars

The werewolf pack gathered in the old car yard outside of town. As the full moon rose their deathly howls fell silent as the long awaited moment of transformation arrived. As the werewolves embraced their new form, the sleeping world remained blissfully ignorant of the terrifying new menace which would confront mankind with its greatest ever challenge. Will anyone survive the blood lust of....

PP Challenge #12

Hope you like it.

Peter
    Last edited by Donald; 21st May 2012 at 09:25 PM.

Get Noticed! Classy Cars

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 31st May 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    Pete Bond

Cool Re: PP Challenge #12

Beach Patrol

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 31st May 2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: got lost again

Real Name
    Pete Bond

Re: PP Challenge #12

But gremlins is an anagram of Merlings which are reclusive creatures, spending their days in their underwater kingdom. Except at areas of trade on shore you rarely see merlings, especially inland, where they may be deprived of their water. Beneath the sea they are bustling as humans, but the race as a whole are soft spoken, stubborn, and mildly xenophobic. They are mired in tradition and rarely break rank, for better or worse. So my picture entry portrays the Beach Watch, which is an epic new film to be released soon, it attempts to seek these gremlins which are merlings in disguise.

Real Name
    George

New Model

PP Challenge #12
    Last edited by Donald; 31st May 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Competition Closed - Voting Open

Okay folks. That's this competition closed for entries. All you now need to do is vote.

Remember - the challenge set at the beginning was to produce an image that could be used in the promotional material for a movie in which this vehicle features.

The actual image used will be posted here at the end of voting.

What you now have to do is:
    a) Choose the one version of the image that you think best represents post-processing skills and completion of the task set.
    b) Send me (Donald) a Private Message (PM) stating the image number of your choice NOT the post number.

Voting will carry on for about 3 days; i.e. until about evening time (UK) on Wednesday 6th June.

I look forward to receiving your PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Competition Closed - Voting Open

Donald
    Number 8 works best for me. Artistically, I found the image did not work well superimposed on scenes from the human world, except as the poster or the stamp. Number 10 was excellent, and maybe even the best processing, but too far out for me. Number 8 made the car part of an animated world and for me that put the car into a context where it worked.
    Ted

Hi tcalvery
    The criteria are
    1) best represents post processing skills
    2) completion of the set task

You say that 10 is possibly the best processing skills but you eliminate it because it is 'too far out for me.' I may or may not agree with you that 10 has the best processing skills but what has too far in or out got to do with it? We are looking at skill and completion of task not what fits in or out of your personal preferences.

The task is about a movie. So when you see the image it needs to tell a story and make you want to go and see it. Look at each pic and ask yourself... if I go to see this film what is it about. If its not clear what the film is about then the pic fails, simple as that.

What is great about this challenge is that we have to put aside likes and dislikes and judge the pic on the basis of set criteria.

And above all else my apologies for using your response to make a point. Nothing personal. In fact I probably agree with you that its between 8 and 10. I just want people to think first and then vote based on the criteria rather than what matches their taste.

Birdypic

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Please note

The instruction is quite clear. All votes MUST be cast by PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The results

This thread has now been closed and the results posted here.

Thanks to everyone who participated, both as an entrant and through voting.