Thread: Nikon D3100 compatible lenses

Real Name
    Panos

Nikon D3100 compatible lenses

Hello there!
    I am newbie about photography and all this equipment. I shoot just for fun but it's quite interesting and now it's the time that I need some help from people who know better. So I was searching in the internet about compatible lenses for my Nikon D3100. Into users manual sais:

" AF-S and AF-I: All functions supported.
    " Type G or D AF NIKKOR without built-in autofocus motor: All functions except autofocus supported. IX NIKKOR lenses not supported.
    " Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II. Lenses for F3AF not supported.
    " Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and some shooting modes.
    " AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II.
    " Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function.
    Note: Electronic rangefinder can be used if lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.

I just saw this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/walimex-14mm...893792&sr=1-97 which is compatible with nikon but it's not in the lens types that the manual writes. Finally, my question is, how can I recognise the compatible lenses for my camera?

Thanks

Real Name
    Pete

Re: Nikon D3100 compatible lenses

Hi Panos

you can mount virtually any F mount lens BUT not all auto focus and not all meter

The lenses that auto focus will need a motor in them so all Nikon AF-S lenses AF-I lenses, Sigma HSM and Tamron USD and I think Tokina IF-S

this might help

http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

that doesn't cover the lens you linked to which I've never heard of. I think that will meter but will be manual focus. Frankly I'd stick to one of the above!

cheers

Pete

Real Name
    Pete

did a bit of digging I think this will help http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff...yang14f28eosff

it seems there are number of co-brands of the same lens e.g including Samyang, Bower, Rokinon, Walimex and a couple more.

The above is a link to a review of the Samyang branded canon mount version. The review of the canon version says "To date Samyang lenses are purely mechanical beings - there's no electronic coupling whatsoever. The EOS version does not provide AF nor an electronically controlled aperture so the compatibility is limited to the camera mount." <-- I suspect the same is true for Nikon

but they do like the lens. a speciality buy I suspect

Real Name
    Panos

Thanks mates!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Panos,

Just to confirm this lens will not (exposure) Meter or Auto-focus on your D3100 body.
    That means you must use "M" manual mode - Auto, P, A or S on mode dial will not work, nor the scene modes.

However, there are several mitigating factors that may make it bearable though;
    You can use the histogram after exposure to review, then re-shoot having adjusted iso or aperture (on lens) or shutter speed
    You can use the electronic rangefinder (three LEDs; too close, correct, too far) to help confirm best focus (no idea where it is looking though!)
    You can use Live View and zoom the LCD to check focus
    At that focal length, DoF is very wide, so unless shooting at fairly wide apertures, hyperfocal distance focusing should ensure acceptable results

Cheers,

Real Name
    Panos

Two more questions please! If my lens doesn't support metering, it means that it doesn't support auto focus too? According to this http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm AI-P lenses mount and support metering on nikon d3100 but what does it mean this: "mounts and meters, no AF unless AF-S or AF-I*" ?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by panos View Post
    Two more questions please! If my lens doesn't support metering, it means that it doesn't support auto focus too? According to this http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm AI-P lenses mount and support metering on nikon d3100 but what does it mean this: "mounts and meters, no AF unless AF-S or AF-I*" ?
    I believe it to mean that the lens has electrical connections, an aperture ring encoder to tell the camera body what aperture is selected (so it can meter), but it doesn't have a focus motor in the lens, so it cannot move the focus ring, thus manual focus.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Quote Originally Posted by panos View Post
    what does it mean this: "mounts and meters, no AF unless AF-S or AF-I*" ?
    All AF branded lenses will mount and meter on those bodies (D40 etc), but only AF-S and AF-I will autofocus, as those lenses are the only ones with AF motor in the lens. So even if the lens is marked AF, there is no AF with D3100 unless it is AF-S or AF-I.

So unless there is an AF motor in the lens, it is manual focus with the "instep model" bodies.
    Last edited by Inkanyezi; 3rd May 2012 at 09:36 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

With the Samyang/Rokinon/etc. etc. 14mm f/2.8 lens, a few notes: make sure you get the later UMC version. The original MC version wasn't nearly as good optically. Make sure you have specialized software (like PTLens) that can correct for the wave/mustache distortion (it has barrel and pincushion distortion combined. Simple lens distortion correction, like the kind that Photoshop/Lightroom can do, will not be sufficient to fully correct for this lens unless you're using a lens profile in ACR.)

You also need to realize that you cannot use filters on it, it's one big honking piece of glass, and it's slight overkill for a crop camera, as it's designed for full-frame. The cash might be better saved towards a Tokina 11-16/2.8 instead if you're shooting crop, and non-CPU lenses are too PITA-laden for you. While it's more expensive (£528.98) and it won't autofocus on a D3100, it will meter accurately, not restrict you to M, goes a lot wider, is just as fast, and can take filters.
    Last edited by inkista; 4th May 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Real Name
    Panos

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    With the Samyang/Rokinon/etc. etc. 14mm f/2.8 lens, a few notes: make sure you get the later UMC version. The original MC version wasn't nearly as good optically. Make sure you have specialized software (like PTLens) that can correct for the wave/mustache distortion (it has barrel and pincushion distortion combined. Simple lens distortion correction, like the kind that Photoshop/Lightroom can do, will not be sufficient to fully correct for this lens unless you're using a lens profile in ACR.)

You also need to realize that you cannot use filters on it, it's one big honking piece of glass, and it's slight overkill for a crop camera, as it's designed for full-frame. The cash might be better saved towards a Tokina 11-16/2.8 instead if you're shooting crop, and non-CPU lenses are too PITA-laden for you. While it's more expensive (£528.98) and it won't autofocus on a D3100, it will meter accurately, not restrict you to M, goes a lot wider, is just as fast, and can take filters.
    Dude I din't understand many things because I am still on the beginning and I have many unknown words. But while I am studying the tutorials, I think it's a matter of time to make sense. Thanks anyway!