Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Open sea

Real Name
    Steven

Open sea

Thank you for your critique and comments for self improvement.

Open sea

Re: Open sea

I'm not really sure, Steven, but I think that if this is meant to be a shot of a wonderful sky/seascape then I would prefer it without the figures. On the other hand, if they are important, I would try a slight crop of the right side and top.

At the moment my eyes seem to move between the figures and that rather bright top area of sky, and don't really settle on anything definite.

Or maybe try cropping to a different width/height ratio. I'm just not sure.

It's basically an excellent shot though. So let's have some more thoughts from other people.

Real Name
    Steven

Geoff, thanks for the comments. I felt the scene would be 'empty' if it was only the sky till I saw this boat that came along with the silhouette of the people relaxing on the boat. But I felt there could be some improvements to it.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Stephen I think this is a very nice shot too. It has lovely warm colours and a very peaceful atmosphere. Following on from Geoff's comments, I think I would crop a bit off the left and a bit off the bottom. I do think the boat adds interest but perhaps a crop such as this would make it a little less dominant. Maybe the silhouette could have been a little sharper or am I just being "picky" !

Well done
    Dave

Real Name
    Steven

Dave, thanks for the suggestion.

Now that I looked at the image again, I was thinking would it looked better if the silhouette was on the horizon rather than the present position?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steven,

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    Now that I looked at the image again, I was thinking would it looked better if the silhouette was on the horizon rather than the present position?
    It is true that where it is now, you cannot see the hull shape very easily and if I am honest, at first glance I thought it was a (far more distant) oil/gas rig structure

You can't really clone it up on to the horizon, as it is too close/big for that.

More the case that it is a shame the sea isn't lit behind the hull, I wonder if the exposure there could be raised a little? (i.e. just the mid tones)

Focus looks to have been quite close looking at the waves, with careful downsizing and sharpening, it may be possible to get a small image looking sharper.

Nice scene though, as others have said; peaceful.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steven

thanks Dave, I like your honesty as it would cause me to look at future scenes in a more critical way before I press the trigger button.