Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Changing weather

Real Name
    Gary

Changing weather

I managed to get out in between the rain and this scene was evolving as I walked around. The storm clouds were being whisked away by a strong wind. The sun was beginning to breakthrough at the same time. I noticed that the brightly lit trees and ground were being opposed by the dark clouds which added a bit of drama. Any thoughts welcomed.

Cheers for now

Gary

Changing weather

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Changing weather

I've been waiting for those weather conditions to get a shot of a spectacular tree close to my home. Well spotted.

I'd be tempted to try a crop just to the right of that large tree that's creeping into view at the left edge of the frame. I don't think that half-in, half-out look helps the image. I'd clone out the pole (looks like you've already cloned the wires - if they were still there). And I'd knock out the watermark. It's the first thing that hits you and, I'd suggest, really detracts from the image.

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks for your reply Donald. I have looked again at the image and cannot argue against the points you raised.

The scene was in between two telegraph poles and I was trying to omit both of them but it then compromised the scene as a whole. The telegraph lines are in there but most have been merged into the trees. Although I have now done a small amount of work to 'lose' them. Anyway, I have attempted to lose the pole, re-cropped and lost the watermark. I started to put a watermark as I had some concerns about images being used. I do update the metadata(?) with my details. But, guess this and the watermark are probably easy to get rid of. Watermark, I guess just crop out! Perhaps, that is a discussion for another post i.e. copyright, securing images etc? Anyway the revised image is below and it does put more focus on the scene after taken the 'distractions' away.

Cheers for now

Gary

Changing weather

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Gary

I think those few little things have raised this image way up the scale in terms of quality and visual appeal.

Re the watermark - these have been the subject of many discussions on here. A very strong body of opinion is that it just ain't worth ruining the image with. As you said, it's easy to crop out the watermark. If someone wants to steal your image then they will and they can very easily get rid of any watermark you lay on it.

The fact is that your posting low resolution images up here, that are only really good for online use. If someone wants to steal the image and pass it off as their own, then, annoying though that is, it's not costing me anything and it's a warped form of flattery. In others words, the thief has the problem, not me.

The bottom line is that if we're going to put anything up into cyberspace, then it's out there to be misused by someone.