Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Day With D800

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

First Day With D800

First Day With D800

Here's a URL for a few of the other shots. The amazing thing about the camera is that I didn't have to do much at all in Photoshop. However, the RAW files were so big CS4 wouldn't accept them. I had to submit the Jpegs.

http://doctorlumiere.smugmug.com/Oth...9714&k=6GXhc43

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Re: First Day With D800

First Day With D800

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by lightdrunk View Post
    First Day With D800

He looks devious!

Here's a URL for a few of the other shots. The amazing thing about the camera is that I didn't have to do much at all in Photoshop. However, the RAW files were so big CS4 wouldn't accept them. I had to submit the Jpegs.

Real Name
    Mike

Dam that is a lot of pixels. I hope you have lots of hard drive space.

I don't think it was the size of the RAW files as much as the older version of ACR and the brand new camera. You could try converting to DNG, with the latest DNG conversion software candidate (6.7 RC).

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/c...#release_notes

Real Name
    Steve

No, of course it can accept the file size I regularly increase my file size to 130MB so I suspect it is possible, but even from a jpeg I can see the difference.

I think you may need a new computer.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

First Day With D800

You're not pulling the wool over our eyes are you? (sorry, couldn't resist!).

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Ha!

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

First Day With D800

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hmm. I got a call from my dealer saying mine will be in tomorrow, but unfortunately I'm out of town on a business trip and won't be able to get it until Wednesday evening, if I get home in time, otherwise I'll have to wait until Thursday...

Curses!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Hmm. I got a call from my dealer saying mine will be in tomorrow, but unfortunately I'm out of town on a business trip and won't be able to get it until Wednesday evening, if I get home in time, otherwise I'll have to wait until Thursday...

Curses!
    You're lucky ... my dealer (sounds like I'm a druggie when I put it like that!) said that it'll be June / July before we see the new 1Dx. I love you Canon, but 9 months from announcement to delivery is cruel!

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Apparently damage to the Fukashima and Thailand facilities have slowed down the distribution of the D800. I was able to go to the top of the list because I paid in advance.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

My wife tells me there is a box at home with my name on it waiting for me; so it was nice of her to pick it up for me. I was very near the top of the list at the (large) retailer (I ordered it the day it was announced), who tell me that mine was part of the first shipment they received from Nikon. Another 24 hours after almost 3 months of waiting is not too bad I guess. I guess asking her to pick me up at the airport and to bring the box along might get me into trouble.

On the other hand, having been away for a few days means I won't have a lot of time to play with it when I get back home.

The startup curve is always a really tough call on the manufacturer. You want to build a bit of inventory to satisfy product launch requirements, but you don't want to hold too much inventory in the warehouse, where you are not making any money on it. Add to that supply chain issues (bad batteries from Sony, for instance; the tsunami in Japan, the flood in Thailand), and the ramp up as your staff learns how mass produce the new product all work against the consumer waiting for the product to show up...

Real Name

Apparently damage to the Fukashima and Thailand facilities have slowed down the distribution of the D800. I was able to go to the top of the list because I paid in advance.
    I had a chat with one of my dealers the other day -- he said that they're virtually cleaned out of Nikon equipment, and nobody can tell them when new stock is going to arrive.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I finally got a chance to get out today and started to work with my new D800. It arrived on Tue, while I was out of town on a business trip and we had a couple of days of bad weather (overcast and rainy), so today was my first chance to get out into the nature areas not far from home. I caught this rather skittish red squirrel, just before it ran away, out on the Old Quary Trail. So far I'm quite impressed with the handling of the camera.

First Day With D800

Hand held at 1/30, wide open at f/5.3 at 260mm (using Nikkor 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6) at 800 ISO. A bit of sharpening of the RAW file, and no other PP work.

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

I got mine last Friday and am a thousand photos in already. I've been sleeping with it.

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Pretty sharp, especially for that lens.