Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dying Barn- Two Versions

Real Name
    Kevin

Dying Barn- Two Versions

Nearby barn, shot with a modicum of trespassing- in a bit of a hurry anticipating both rain and a shotgun. Any suggestions for the shot or the pp? Thanks for viewing!

Handheld
    24mm (APS-C)
    1/30 @ f/13
    ISO 640
    Sony DT 16-80

Dying Barn- Two Versions

Dying Barn- Two Versions
    Last edited by kdoc856; 26th April 2012 at 02:28 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Dying Barn- Two Versions

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Nearby barn, shot with a modicum of trespassing- in a bit of a hurry anticipating both rain and a shotgun. Any suggestions for the shot or the pp?
    Hi Kevin! This is a lovely composition with great depth, interesting colors and a nicely foreboding sky.

There is a slight halo on the roof of the barn, usually a sign of over sharpening. If you shot this in JPEG, I've seen my Sony's P&S cameras over sharpening JPEG images in-camera so if you didn't apply additional sharpening in Lightroom you may want to shoot in RAW or see if there is an in-camera sharpening setting you could minimize.

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you, Frank

I almost always shoot RAW, so I am responsible. The images in my organizer don't exhibit the same degree of halo, so I am wondering if perhaps my output settings are too high- will check it out! Thanks for your input

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kevin: Great imterpretation with the colour and black & white takes on the same image. Just love a barn and a sky like that, (hate you though for getting that image), because I love the barn and sky I would want more. I would crop it just bite off the bottom, you see that clump of dried grass lower left hand corner inline with the tree beside the barn, just in front of it, a stalk of grass that bends to the left at the top of it that is where I could crop it, to remove everthing below. I think for me, that I would feel closer to the barn, and it would just be me, the barn, and the sky. Again great take on the image.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Super bit of work, Kevin. I think the B & W is packed full of mood and atmosphere - just the way it should be.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you, Allan and Donald, for viewing and commenting

Allan, I did a version very similar to the crop you suggested, but felt I lost too much of the color contrast between the ble-grey sky and the yellow grass. I think I will employ that crop on the B&W version, to add the emphasis you suggested.

Kevin

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Nearby barn, shot with a modicum of trespassing- in a bit of a hurry anticipating both rain and a shotgun. Any suggestions for the shot or the pp? Thanks for viewing!

Handheld
    24mm (APS-C)
    1/30 @ f/13
    ISO 640
    Sony DT 16-80

Dying Barn- Two Versions

Dying Barn- Two Versions
    Wow!! Love the photos!! I am really torn between which I like better, I am usually a big fan of color but the black and white has got my attention!! I would love to have both hanging in my house!!

Kathy

Real Name
    Scott

I really like both. I think my vote goes to the color one, though. As great as the texture is in the B&W, the perfect "old" colors of the rusty roof, the dry, weather-beaten boards, and then the sky are really super.

Maybe if that wheat didn't happen to be there, I would switch my vote to the B&W. Seems like in B&W, though, the wheat takes on the same tone as the barn, so the clumps close to the barn obscure the outline of the structure a little.