Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The road to Skerray

Real Name
    Sharon

The road to Skerray

Mind the sheep! I started cloning oot sheep s**t but wow..visitors to the Highlands would be really mislead!

Fading off is deliberate as there are sand dunes all around and it helped me convey that.

The road to Skerray

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The road to Skerray

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Fading off is deliberate as there are sand dunes all around and it helped me convey that.
    This one raises an interesting point which I hope people may have views about.

In a recent issue of 'Black & White Photography', one of the regular contributors was discussing vignettes. Based on the widely held view that vignettes are about darkening up around the edges in order to throw attention in towards the central part of an image, he argued that you should NEVER use the white vignette option. That it's just wrong.

Now, I don't agree with that view. And I think this image is evidence of how that technique can be used to positive creative effect.

What I particulary like about how this image has been put together, is the way the clouds have been captured and processed to provide strong leading lines from the top corners back into the central background. It really pulls us right to the very back of the image where we have (I should know the name of that mountain) sitting proudly, right in the centre of the frame. And because we have that, the horizon on the centre line and those clouds set up as they are, this image has, in my view, a wonderful symmetry that balances it up beautifully. It's a classic example of how we can use other strong lines and shapes and not always have to stick to the rule of thirds.

And as for the sheep s**t, the most annoying thing is trying to get it out of the tread in the soles of your boots when you get home.

Real Name
    Sharon

I have sprayed a sack of immodium Instants over Surhterland Donald,,,get there quick!

I pesonally LOVE matte/frosting or pale Vignettes...not keen on thE DARK ONES.

i deliberately want to leave my pictures OPEN, hence frost matteing ..it's ny way of saying there is more out there,,,it's a beautiful land and not trying to resrrict that to one image because there is more and given a chance I will show you that with pleasure,

make sense?

A thousand pics in the naked country, ( ye need til be 50 ril get that ! )

Real Name
    Richard

I like the image very much. However, I wonder if a different border would suit the image better. The border I think would suit this image is one that looks like the print has been raised off the background and there is a shadow along two edges of the print.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks Richard.

I wanted a boudary that wouldn't restrict the pic too much.

I thnk you mean drop shadow which is a great idea ..thanks.