Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help me compare 2 camera sling backpacks

Real Name
    William

Help me compare 2 camera sling backpacks

I might as well live in the middle of the jungle when it comes to nearby camera shops. I can't find these bags locally to check them out, so I'm hoping someone has experience with them or have at least seen them in person.

Here are the criteria I am looking for in a backpack;
    Sling access so I can get to my camera without removing the backpack
    Ability to carry a tripod
    Carry all my current gear with room to expand later if I get more lenses

My current gear includes a Canon T2i, 18-55 kit lens, 70-210 lens, 2 screw on filter in wide angle and tele, Close up filters, a 4 section tripod. I also want to be able to carry all my computer/ charger cords. Future gear would include either macro lens or extension tube, macro rail, and eventually swap the 2 screw ons for a true tele and wide angle lens.

I have narrowed it down to 2 competitors. Both by Lowepro. Price wise, there is only a $7 difference because I can get the Classified on sale.

Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW $61.99 from amazon, $119 from Lowepro
    Lowepro Classified Sling 220 AW $69.95 from B&H, $219 from lowepro

This will be my main carry around bag, and will accompany me on my bike when I go out. I am open to alternatives in the $70 price range as well. I know it isn't top of the line but this is my budget right now. To be honest, the more I research I do to make this post, the more I like the Classified. Anyone see any reason to get the slingshot or another bag instead? Feel free to chime in, I will be ordering a bag within the next 12 hours.

Here's my list of Pro's and Con's

Both
    Pro's
    Carry tripod
    All Weather scrunchy bag built in

Classified
    Pro's
    Built in laptop slot
    Can carry all my gear, and probably all future gear
    Supposed to be more "top of the line" bag
    Can move dividers around, fully lined with velcro

Con's
    May be "too" big
    Not many reviews that I can find

Slingshot
    Pro's
    saves $7 (woopee, but it's a pro)
    Reviewed to death, good reviews

Con's
    Aesthetics, don't like the blue coloring
    Not sure if it is future proof, size wise
    Not much room to move dividers apparently, may be wrong

Real Name
    Pat

Re: Help me compare 2 camera sling backpacks

Hello GreedyRogue,
    If you could give us your first name I would feel better calling you by that,as we use our real names here and it makes things more friendly.
    Here is a backpack that I have been using and find it comfortable and fairly good space wise,however after a while I think every bag seems to become a bit too small.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,2116,14.htm

Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Frank Deland

GR, before you decide on the SlingShots, I would highly recommend considering the Flipside 400 AW. This is a backpack that opens on the side that is closest to your back. You leave the hip belt buckled, remove the shoulder straps and swing the pack around so that it in front of you with the backside, ie. flipside, facing you. I hangs down in front of you at about a right angle acing like a table. Your pack never touches the ground while you either get your camera out or change lenses. This is especially a benefit if your at the beach or standing in snow. The pack doesn't touch the sand or snow.

It also has a large pocket on the outside of the pack, the side that is away from your back when it is on you as a backpack. That space can holds a Mac Air Book or an ipad. It has small pockets in the interior which I use to stow filters. The pack has plenty of room for camera body and two lenses with space left over for a macro lens, extension tubes, or teleconverter.

My tripod fits in a case with straps and the back has one tension strap on each side to help hold the tripod. When out of the case I carry the tripod on a homemade strap over the shoulder. There are many ways to carry the tripod on my bike,so I am sure you will come up with a system that suits you. But the Flipside pack works great! This si just one review that shows the size. Google for many others, and note: You do NOT have to remove the pack to get access to the camera!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgyFDy3W6I0

I also use a Cotton Carrier system that holds a camera to the chest. It works much better than just having the camera sling over your neck. Easily used on a bike or walking. Another great way to carry a camera. It is the vest I am describing.
    http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
    Last edited by rambler4466; 26th April 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Real Name
    William

The Flipside looks like a decent alternative, but is out of my budget range. Even the Classified would be if I hadn't caught it on sale.

I know there are all kinds of ways to mount a tripod to my bike, but it has a big enough notice factor as it is, let alone with obvious camera gear attached to it. (Not my bike, but looks very similiar)

For me, the Classified seems more low key than the flipside. I don't own a lot of gear, but the $800 or so I do have in gear I can't afford to replace. Maybe if I ever get a second bag, I will definetly look at the Flipside. For now I think the Classified is the best choice for me.