Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finally figured out Infrared with my SD14

Real Name
    Steaphany

Finally figured out Infrared with my SD14

Since the SD14's imager employs a unique technology, it took me a bit and some tips from a friend to figure out how to get everything to come together. He's the result:

Landscape 1, A link to the Full size image can be found here

Landscape 2, A link to the Full size image can be found here
    Last edited by Steaphany; 5th July 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Re: Finally figured out Infrared with my SD14

owwwwwwwwww.....Landscape #2 is very nice....

I agree,
    both pictures are beautiful
    I kinda like the framing in #1
    so this is really a modification on the sensor right? not just a IR filter?

Real Name
    Steaphany

kevinbythebeach & Zephyrize,

I authored a new thread under Tips & Techniques, Image Post-Processing & Printing where I cover the whole process of shooting infrared with a Sigma SD14:

How to shoot Infrared with a Sigma SD14

All your answers should be answered there, if not, then please ask for what ever clarification you may need.

Real Name
    Jeroen

that looks really nice to me. Could you tell me some more specific about your shots. EXIF data or something like that. I'm interesting in these things. Looks beautifull

Real Name
    Steaphany

Landscape 1 was shot at f/4 1/250th ISO 100, Landscape 2 at f/4 1/320th ISO 100.

The lens for both was a Sigma 28mm DG EX Aspherical Macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    Landscape 1 was shot at f/4 1/250th ISO 100, Landscape 2 at f/4 1/320th ISO 100.

The lens for both was a Sigma 28mm DG EX Aspherical Macro.
    Hi,

I love the images. I tried my luck with IR as well (see here). I am using an IR Filter and I need to do at least a 1min exposure on my pictures.
    How did you get by using only 1/250sec? I read your other post and I understand that you also use a filter?!
    I did not remove the dust protector mirror on my camera, could that be the reason? Or do they make different strengths of IR filters?

Hope you can help me.

Kirk

Real Name
    Steaphany

Hi Kirk,

This is the key:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I did not remove the dust protector mirror on my camera, could that be the reason?
    The SD14's dust protector/hot mirror severely limits any infrared from reaching the imager. As I mentioned in my "How To" thread, it is far stronger than the standard Tiffen hot mirror.

You'll find that the exposure needs to be significantly reduced, your 1 minute to my 1/250th, when you remove the dust protector.

A heads up and a word of warning. The SD14's dust protector is extremely fragile and easily broken. I broke mine when I was trying to reinsert it after a sensor cleaning session. That left glass particulates sitting on the mirror. Luckily, no glass made it to the shutter mechanism and Sigma has a distributor network who sells replacement dust protector/hot mirrors. If you ever have similar problems, contact Sigma support for your country to be put in touch with the right people to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Or do they make different strengths of IR filters?
    There are many vendors who manufacturer and sell infrared filters. Most are basically long pass, meaning that they transmit wave lengths, typically at a greater than 80% transmittance, longer than a specified threshold. Wavelengths shorter than this threshold are attenuated to near 0% transmittance. Common wavelength thresholds are 720nm, 750nm, 850nm, and 950nm. Occasionally, you can find filters at or above 1000nm.

Sources for infrared filters that I've used include:

B&H Photo - Infrared Filters

LDP, LLC's Infrared Filters

If you run a search on ebay, you'll find a large number of vendors selling relatively low cost infrared filters. If you are starting out and not sure of putting in the investment for precision filters, try your hand with a lower cost filter from an ebay supplier. If you like what you can do with infrared photography, you can always upgrade later.

Filters with a threshold of 720nm will pass some visible red light. If you look through the filter, you'll see that it looks a very dark red. Infrared filters with thresholds above 720nm are pretty much opaque to visible light.

I have also seen infrared photography shot through Black and White photography 25A - red and G - orange filters. These are commonly available and usually at a lower cost than precision infrared filters. I have both and need to perform better evaluations on their performance with my SD14.

Here is another word of warning, never try to observe any high brightness light source, especially the Sun, by eye through an infrared filter. You can easily damage your eyes, since they are unable to detect and respond to the intensity of the light. Just because it's black and opaque does not mean nothing comes through. The photos posted to this thread are proof of that.

Thank you Steaphany.

I have a Canon camera, so I have to do some research. I'm not sure though if I want to take my camera apart. Maybe if I upgrade sometime in the future I will make it into a pure IR camera

Kirk

Real Name
    Steaphany

Kirk,

I do not recommend that you perform an infrared conversion yourself. Cameras with integral infrared blocking filters need to be in a clean room environment during the conversion, otherwise you'll risk dust getting on your imager.

Another factor is that the focus is reliant on the infrared blocking filter being there. Simply removing it will leave your camera unable to focus. When properly done, the infrared blocking filter must be replaced with a infrared transmissive optical window with the same index of refraction as the original infrared blocking filter.

Since you are new to infrared photography, I suggest you visit the WorldWide Infrared Photography Community forum which specializes solely on infrared photography and presently has nearly 600 members. There you an find other Canon users who can provide advice on the best companies to contact to perform the natural light to infrared conversion, along with filter, exposure recommendations, and even how to easily use the same camera for infrared and natural light photography. They also offer 14 categories or subject themes for members to post their work.

Kirk, since you are in the US of A, check out Hutech for conversion work. http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/canon/index.htm

UK people should check out astronomiser, which is a very small company but has a very good reputation amongst the astrophotography fraternity.
    http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/cameras.htm

Astrophotography benifits from this conversion as the interstellar gas glows a deep red which gets filtered out by the usual IR filter. Removal of the filter alows more detail to be gathered in the short period between the clouds.

HTH

Real Name
    Steaphany

Here are some other companies which sell converted cameras or provide an infrared conversion service:

Life Pixel

LDP, LLC

Precision Camera

EZYStyles Astrophotography (Australia)

Advanced Camera Services (UK)