Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kishwaukee Forest Preserve (large file)

Real Name
    Paul

Kishwaukee Forest Preserve (large file)

Here is a five-shot pano of one of my local spots for landscape photography. The Spring wild flowers were in bloom along the Kishwaukee River which made a pleasant scene. This is a spot I've not shot before using my homemade pano head. In warmer weather, it will be full of poison ivy and hungry mosquitoes. The images were stitched together in CS5. I tweaked the contrast and saturation a little. At 300 dpi, this makes an 18.5 x 38 inch print.

Paul S

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Kishwaukee Forest Preserve (large file)

Lovely image Paul. I like the composition and I think the colour is spot on. I would probably increase the contrast a little more but that's just my personal taste. It should make a very nice large poster.

Did you have the camera oriented with the long side of the image vertical ? I guess this together with 5 shots gives a larger resolution image than one using the long side of the image horizontal and say 2 shots ?

Well done
    Dave

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Paul,

Looks good to me. Only a couple of things came to mind ...

1. I like the size - it's so much nicer than trying to evaluate an image that's only 700px wide. You might like to up the compression slightly though - something this size whould be able to fit into around 500 to 600kb. I normally use 10 (out of 12) in Photoshop. It's visually lossless.

2. I think it's slightly over-sharpened for screen display (probably due to rendering when it's down-sized by our computers to fit it on the screen). It's just making the flowers and bark look a touch too frosty for my taste (I'd duplicate the layer - apply a gaussean blur of 0.3px - reduce the opacity to around 50 to 70% - and flatten. No biggie though.

PS: Watermark spoils it a bit though

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I'll have more time to rework it today and look at it with "fresh" eyes. Individual images were shot in the portrait orientation with about 30 percent overlap using a 50mm Sigma DG HSM lens at f/16 and focused on the hyper-focus distance. The mostly-overcast sky produced a soft light that opened up the shadows so I might not have added enough contrast to give it the "snap" it deserves. The image has lots of saturated greens that are out of gamut for my old Canon iPF-5000 pigments and luster paper. Time to upgrade to newer technology.

Paul S

Real Name
    Paul

I worked on this image this morning and this is my final iteration and matches how I saw the scene. I think its an improvement and looks very nice when printed. It may have a future place over the fireplace mantle as a spring-time image. The wife likes to rotate images with the seasons. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Paul S