Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

  1. #1
    ucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seymour, Vic., Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,245
    Real Name
    Ken Outch

    Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    This was taken last night around 5pm. Had some rain and there was a bit of cloud around. Just caught the sun's rays on the cloud before it all went a horrid shade of dull, lifeless grey. Had about 10 minutes of rise and fall of this strong cloud reflection. Luckily it all happened and was over before dinner was ready and my favourite TV show aired. Dedication to one's art is a good thing, but we don't have to mess with our priorities over it do we?
    Thanks for viewing and for any comments you may care to post.
    old ucci

    Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset?  Yep, 'fraid so.

    Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset?  Yep, 'fraid so.

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,661
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Good grief. Was that really the colour? I've never seen anything like that before. What a light.

    You seem to be up above the cloud, or at least up in amongst it???. You weren't flying around in your private jet again, were you?

  3. #3
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Unbelievable sunset. Although I do prefer to see a bit of landscape in these sorts of shots. Good stuff nonetheless.

  4. #4
    ucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seymour, Vic., Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,245
    Real Name
    Ken Outch

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Geood grief. Was that really the colour? I've never seen anything like that before. What a light.

    You seem to be up above the cloud, or at least up in amongst it???. You weren't flying around in your private jet again, were you?
    Thanks for viewing and comment Mr D.Yes they were actually that colour. That is why I braved the fearful elements with the camera! Well, it was cold for us anyway as it was only around 18 to 20C. Luckily it wasn't raining and there was no wind or I would not have put my life, well comfort anyway, at perilous risk by venturing out of doors so close to sunset.

    The height thing is due to the fact that we live on a high hill and the clouds were low lying over the distant hills and we were, relatively speaking, at the same height. What I didn't mention in the original post and maybe should have is that the colours are so bright probably because this is reflected sun light. The setting sun was behind me as I faced East to get this shot. That is another reason the effect was very transient. It is something we see fairly often here.
    Cheers
    Ken

  5. #5
    ucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seymour, Vic., Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,245
    Real Name
    Ken Outch

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Unbelievable sunset. Although I do prefer to see a bit of landscape in these sorts of shots. Good stuff nonetheless.
    Thank you for vewing and nice comment
    Ken

  6. #6
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Given the number of really great sunsets recently posted, and the beauty and tremendous variety of the compositions, it is getting very difficult to post a sunset that is really unusual. That is percisely what you have accomplished here, Ken!

  7. #7
    ucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seymour, Vic., Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,245
    Real Name
    Ken Outch

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Given the number of really great sunsets recently posted, and the beauty and tremendous variety of the compositions, it is getting very difficult to post a sunset that is really unusual. That is percisely what you have accomplished here, Ken!
    Hi Frank
    I am quite embarrassed by the generosity of your very kind comment on my efforts. Thank you very much.
    As for the actual posts, I guess there was a huge amount of luck and being just at the right place at the right time which were the main factors in bringing it together. I was just the lucky bystander who happened to have a camera to hand! I just wish I was a quarter as good as the comments made might suggest. But on a positive note they do encourage me to persist and to try and do better! Thank you all for this
    Old ucci

  8. #8
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Oh my gosh! Didn't mean to embarrass you, Ken. The fact is that 'luck' is usually 90% preparation and you were in the right place at the right time and fully prepared to get the image should it occur.

  9. #9
    Harpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Posts
    425
    Real Name
    Mike

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    You must live on a REALLY BIG Hill Ken! The only time Ive been above the clouds like this on earth is on top of mountains!

    Ive actually seen colors like this when we have dramatic clouds over here in the Mid Atlantic US. Sure is eye catching! Good capture, Ken. You have a point. Ive started taking my G12 along when I take walks because every now and then I walk up to an interesting view. Good to have the camera then!

  10. #10
    ucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seymour, Vic., Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,245
    Real Name
    Ken Outch

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    You must live on a REALLY BIG Hill Ken! The only time Ive been above the clouds like this on earth is on top of mountains!

    Ive actually seen colors like this when we have dramatic clouds over here in the Mid Atlantic US. Sure is eye catching! Good capture, Ken. You have a point. Ive started taking my G12 along when I take walks because every now and then I walk up to an interesting view. Good to have the camera then!
    Thank you for viewing and commenting Mike. It is not a mountain but because of its height and the plain between us and the ranges to our East we are in a juxtaposition where we often seem to be at eye level with or above the cloud formations on the ranges to our East. This often presents some pretty interesting views.
    Ken

  11. #11
    Tringa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London and NW Scotland
    Posts
    566
    Real Name
    Dave

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Great colours, Ken.

    I too would have liked to see some land, but when working with nature you have to take what you are given, which you have done very well.

    They are also a good illustration that when taking photos at sunset, the best shots are not necessarily in the direction of the sun.

    Dave

  12. #12
    ucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seymour, Vic., Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,245
    Real Name
    Ken Outch

    Re: Heck ucci, not another rotten sunset? Yep, 'fraid so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    Great colours, Ken.

    I too would have liked to see some land, but when working with nature you have to take what you are given, which you have done very well.


    They are also a good illustration that when taking photos at sunset, the best shots are not necessarily in the direction of the sun.

    Dave
    Thank you Dave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •