Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hello everyone

Hello everyone

First of all let me say there is some amazing photography on this site/forum.
    My name is Rodney Heenan (31 yrs) and I live almost at the base of the South Island of New Zealand. To date, my limited photography experience has been mostly in long exposure & astrophotography. However in recent times I have been venturing into the day time side of things.
    Currently I'm using a Canon 20d + standard 18-55 and 90-300 lenses for all photography. I also have a Orion ed80 (80mm F/7.5) refractor which is used for some of the astrophotography.
    I'm looking forward to being a member of this forum and tapping into the wealth of photography knowledge that exists here

Below is a sample of some of my photography to date. All comments (good and bad) welcome.

Comet McNaught widefield. 30sec ISO 1600

Hello everyone

Aparima River under moonlite with star trails. 16.5 min ISO 200 F/5.6

Hello everyone

Angel. 1/500 sec ISO 200 F/14

Hello everyone

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Hello everyone

Hi Rodney,

Great to have another Kiwi with us (and from the mainland too)

I'm at the other end of the SI, in Nelson. We've had a few from up north, but they seem to have disappeared in the past few months

If I can help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Rodney,

Great to have another Kiwi with us (and from the mainland too)

I'm at the other end of the SI, in Nelson. We've had a few from up north, but they seem to have disappeared in the past few months

If I can help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask!

Hello Colin,

It is great to see fellow Kiwi's here.
    I have been very impressed with yours and other members pics on here. I can see there is alot for me to learn from this site.

Welcome Rodney.

The first image is very nicely captured. As a personal preference I would PP those bright spots out of the foreground and maybe just dodge the grass a little.

The second image needs some leveling of the horizon and again some darkening of the sky and lightening of the foreground. I do like the effect in the sky and its is very easy to see how a few adjustments to your technique could yeald some stunning results.

The third image is too closely cropped in my opinion. The image also needs some PP sharpening. the way the light strikes the statue is nice. I am not sure if this is a conversion to BW. If it is it may have have had more impact left in colour.

Steve

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Hi Rodney:

Welcome and you posted some interesting shots. The first shot has something that almost looks like a comet...what is it? You must have had to use powerful telephoto to get that shot of an angel up close.

The long exposure in the second one created an interesting effect on the water. I've seen others on this site achieve that effect with long exposures. I may have to try that some day.

Chuck