Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujifilm Finepix EXR S200

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Fujifilm Finepix EXR S200

Does anyone have Fujifilm Finepix EXR S200

I would like to improve my knowledge and skills and learn about using this type of camera

Thankyou

Jim

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Fujifilm Finepix EXR S200

Quote Originally Posted by thelad View Post
    Does anyone have Fujifilm Finepix EXR S200

I would like to improve my knowledge and skills and learn about using this type of camera

Thankyou

Jim
    While I could be wrong, this is not the type of camera most of the members here would be using. These cameras are generally called either a cross-over camera or a superzoom. They are in between a Point & Shoot and an entry-level DSLR. They are getting closer to DSLR size, but tend to have a small sensor and a fixed zoom lens, much like a Point & Shoot. The lenses are not particularly great optically, but I've gotten some really amazing shots with all kinds of cheap cameras.

Sometimes they have some fairly advanced features including the ability to shoot shutter priority and aperture priority, rather than letting the camera make all the choices. Some will shoot in camera RAW mode as well.

If you can live with the limitations you can get some reasonably good images. The only thing you might want to ask yourself is whether or not you intend to move on with photography, and if that is the case, an entry level DSLR might be a better investment. These camera can do pretty well everything the higher end DLSRs can, but have been stripped of some of the "bells and whistles" more advanced users will get into. You will have a larger sized sensor and the capability to add lenses and other accessories as you get more into photography.

With a crossover camera, you really can't expand beyond what you have bought.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jim,

Worry not (if you already have one), I started with a Fuji like this, a few generations earlier, and it will stand you in good stead for about a couple of years - well that's how long I used mine before moving on (at 10 x the price ) to a DSLR and similar lens range. By then you'll know whether you really want to invest in a DSLR and several lenses and you can skip the entry level DSLR and kit lens stage, saving yourself an lot of money in the process!

I think that model looks to be an excellent choice, it has all the normal DSLR controls and IS, RAW and jpg + RAW.

If you look at any of my images upto May 2009, they were shot with a camera like yours, including most things in my Picasa albums. You can learn (and do) a lot with it, so just join in here in the forums, read the tutorials and enjoy yourself.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    David Wallace

You could do lot worse than the Fuji EXR S200, certainly as far as value for money is concerned.
    Ignoring the fact that there is a lot of snobbery in photography (see first reply) you will get excellent images from the camera, no dust on the sensor as there is no need to change lenses. Start of using it on "P", having set the ISO at 200, until you get the feel of it - you will get great images. Fuji have been making the top commercial video lenses for many years and you will see that all the top manufacturers of digital are now copying early Fujifilm features in what they are calling CSCs and what are infact the same as "bridge cameras" Fui have been making for 10 years.
    I keep a Fuji "bridge" in the car all the time as a back up and have in fact taken excellent images with.
    See
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fu...a-review-12263

Artistwally

Real Name
    Robin

Bridge cameras like the Fuji you mentioned are an excellent way to get into the more creative side of photography without spending a small fortune on a DSLR system. What you get is all the basics for building your skills. Full manual control along side aperture priority and shutter priority plus the usual auto modes. There is a standard thread on the lens so you can play with creative filters, it has a viewfinder so you get the hang of holding a camera in a way that minimises camera shake and the quality from the EXR sensors that Fuji make are excellent.
    Ignor the elitist who say you can't get an excellent image from anything other that an expensive camera - cobblers - any camera can take a good picture but it is the photographer and the skill they learn that turn it into a great one.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Snobbery? Please read my respose carefully. I shoot with anything from a camera phone, always carry my old point & shoot, still use the old Panasonic cross-over on occassion as well as my 4 year old Nikon DSLR and my 30+ year old Leica. They are all tools and can and have been used to take very compelling images.

My point was more that in today's market (which has changed considerably since the days I got into digital), the entry level DSLRs provide similar functionality and much room to grow than a cross-over cameras at similar price level. If you are in the market to get into photography in a serious way, my recommendation is still to go to an entry level DSLR over a superzoom. Price is really not all that different and you have more "headroom" to grow your skills with a DSLR. Your camera body does have a finite lifespan, but your accessories, especially your interchangable lenses will work on the next camera body you buy.

If you already own a cross-over, or any other type of camera, learn how to use it and work on your composition skills. These are really the most important thing you can do photographically. If you don't already own one, think about it before committing yourself one way or the other.

Real Name
    Peter

[I]Does anyone have Fujifilm Finepix EXR S200

I own the predecessor, the S100fs and there are a lot of similarities. First off, here's a review;

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...200exr_review/

It can be used in full manual mode, but I never did get the manual focus to work well. The grab focus button is useful though.

Image quality is pretty good, but falls off at higher ISO faster than on a larger sensor camera.

This camera does have some real advantages over a DSLR, though... it's silent, there's no dust-on-sensor problem, and offers flash sync up to 1/4000 sec, if your flash is that fast - I use an old Vivitar 285, or Philips CTLS36. I find it useful as a travel camera.

There are differences between the two models, but mainly more sophistication in the 200.

HTH
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd April 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    While I could be wrong, this is not the type of camera most of the members here would be using. These cameras are generally called either a cross-over camera or a superzoom. They are in between a Point & Shoot and an entry-level DSLR. They are getting closer to DSLR size, but tend to have a small sensor and a fixed zoom lens, much like a Point & Shoot. The lenses are not particularly great optically, but I've gotten some really amazing shots with all kinds of cheap cameras.

Sometimes they have some fairly advanced features including the ability to shoot shutter priority and aperture priority, rather than letting the camera make all the choices. Some will shoot in camera RAW mode as well.

If you can live with the limitations you can get some reasonably good images. The only thing you might want to ask yourself is whether or not you intend to move on with photography, and if that is the case, an entry level DSLR might be a better investment. These camera can do pretty well everything the higher end DLSRs can, but have been stripped of some of the "bells and whistles" more advanced users will get into. You will have a larger sized sensor and the capability to add lenses and other accessories as you get more into photography.

Hi GD 206667

Many thanks for getting back to me and I appreciate you comments It was a while after I got my Camera that I found out it was as you say a Cross-Over Here they seem to call it a Bridge Camera and in-between the two like you stated.I knew nothing about about it so it is a learning curve for me and looking back maybe i might have chosen a different one not because I don't like the fuji EXR S200 mainly because of the LACK OF INFORMATION that there is about using a Bridge type camera There seems to be TONS of info about Digital Point and Shoot and the DSLR I like your Comment about " Amazing shots with all kinds of cheap cameras." and I suppose being new to having a camera other than a point and shoot type to me It was what my Family could afford and being a Christmas Present I am so grateful and thankful to them for even getting me a Digital Camera which i suppose looks like a DSLR I know I will never make a David Bailey or some of the other names of the photography world But David Bailey is the only one i have heard of plus some LORD whatsit name

Many thanks for taking time to reply and hope you keep enjoying everything that you do

take care

Jim thelad

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Jim,

Worry not (if you already have one), I started with a Fuji like this, a few generations earlier, and it will stand you in good stead for about a couple of years - well that's how long I used mine before moving on (at 10 x the price ) to a DSLR and similar lens range. By then you'll know whether you really want to invest in a DSLR and several lenses and you can skip the entry level DSLR and kit lens stage, saving yourself an lot of money in the process!

I think that model looks to be an excellent choice, it has all the normal DSLR controls and IS, RAW and jpg + RAW.

If you look at any of my images up to May 2009, they were shot with a camera like yours, including most things in my Picasa albums. You can learn (and do) a lot with it, so just join in here in the forums, read the tutorials and enjoy yourself.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...
    Hi Dave

Many thanks for the Welcome and taking time to answer my request for help with the Fuji EXR S200 you have hit the nail on the head as the PRICE TAG of DSLR is out of our price range for now but I would never say never if a Lotto win came along or I could purchase a good second hand one from someone who has had enough and having a break from taking Images with a DSLR Camera

Besides money, and not going for the Heavier Dslr I do have problems holding anything at waist or shoulder level and since the Fuji is lighter that was one of the factors that the family chose it for me not thinking that I could use a Tripod because of space and at times would not be adequate taking Bonsai images at some clubs and shows and it was only recently someone suggested I use a Monopod so I now have one of them which I find very very useful indeed
    Where I need to start is to find out what all the Modes are on the Mode Dial are for and find it how they all work and how to set them instaed of putting everything on AUTO Setting
    Another thing that This camera was chosen for me was for the Low Light Setting as Our Bonsai Society meeting room the lighting is terrible and I used this setting at the last meeting and was amazed at the result and once I sort out how to post images i will send normal and low light images if thats ok

Many thanks for your link my Picasa albums and besides the quality of you images I enjoyed looking at the ALL Cycling Albums Which brough back memories as I was there done that and wore the T/shirt as I time trailed and hill climb back in 1960 to 1965 when i gave up to seeking adventure with RAF Ickenham Model Engineers Ascot Model Engineering Exhibition: 20th Littlewick 2008

so thanks for that

sorry if went on a bit and thankyou once again for you help and welcome

take care

Jim thelad

Real Name
    Peter

Here's another link, this time to the manual;

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi..._manual_01.pdf

Hope that you enjoy your new cam - it is a good one

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Hi GD

After reading your mail again, You got me a wee bit concerned so I had a wee search and found out that I CAN ADD to my Fuji FinePix S200EXR A Megakit (Wide Angle, Macro and Telephoto Lens Kit) does this count as Expanding beyond what I already have
    I know I know nothing about photography and how it all works but I am wondering if there's other things that I may purchase to help improve my camera Equipment will do some more searching, but for now my main concern is learn with help what all the Commands do and what setting to put the camera on for the multitude of situations I will want to take a decent image but like i have been told before Practice Practice and experiment to see what happens

thanks again

Jim thelad

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi GD

After reading your mail again, You got me a wee bit concerned so I had a wee search and found out that I CAN ADD to my Fuji FinePix S200EXR A Megakit (Wide Angle, Macro and Telephoto Lens Kit) does this count as Expanding beyond what I already have
    I know I know nothing about photography and how it all works but I am wondering if there's other things that I may purchase to help improve my camera Equipment will do some more searching, but for now my main concern is learn with help what all the Commands do and what setting to put the camera on for the multitude of situations I will want to take a decent image but like i have been told before Practice Practice and experiment to see what happens

thanks again

Jim thelad
    I would become very comfortable with the camera itself before spending money on accessories that you may or may not use. You need to understand the camera's capabilities and your own interests before you go crazy with accessories. Accessories will not make you a better photographer.

Most crossover cameras already have a reasonable zoom capability, and you may find that the "super-telephoto" or macro accessory will likely require you use a tripod and some form of remote release to get good shots. It's very difficult to handhold these types of shots, even with a DSLR. When I look at the specs, you get a 35mm equivalent of 30.5mm- 436mm, you already have a very long zoom capability. Even for DSLR cameras, you are getting into some high-end, high cost lenses once you get over 400mm. At the low end, the 30.5mm is getting into the wide-angle range as well.

Ultra wide angle lenses are easier to shoot with, but are a lot trickier to get an intersting composition with; it's all too easy to have an image that is all sky and foreground.

If you find that you are limited by your camera and needed these accessories to get the images that you need, by all means go ahead and get them. Just remember (and this is why I suggested an entry-level DSLR), chances are that these accessories will not be transferable to other cameras. They are likely designed to go with that specific camera's lens.

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Hi David

I hope its ok to call everyone by their name rather than the login name

Quote Originally Posted by Artistwally View Post
    Ignoring the fact that there is a lot of snobbery in photography (see first reply)
    Sorry, I did not see your First reply but I agree amongst some photographers I have came across and even old RAF mate was full of it because he was a photographer in the RAF But most guys are Friendly and helpful, since I started being serious about taking images I have had some good help from Bonsai Friends who also take pics for fun and to keep a record of thier Bonsai Trees in-case any go missing (if you know what I mean)
    It's good to know about Dust that the camera will not get that (what ever that means)

Start of using it on "P", Having set the ISO at 200, until you get the feel of it - you will get great images
    I take it the "P" means Program !!

I keep a Fuji "bridge" in the car all the time as a back up and have in fact taken excellent images with. I have only ever met another guys with a Fuji Camera and that was a well Known Bonsai Artist and Photographer so looks like i could be in good company
    See http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fu...a-review-12263
    Thanks for this link, I had a little read at it and also the other two link as well but later i will be going back to it and it seems very helpful indeed

If your ever passing through DENNY the other side of Stirling but i am sure you know that send a pic as its been a long time since I visited there

take care and many many thanks for replying to my help Hope answering your mail this way is not frowned upon if so I am sorry

Jim thelad
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd April 2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: sorting out quote tags

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Quote Originally Posted by proseak View Post
    Here's another link, this time to the manual;

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi..._manual_01.pdf

Hope that you enjoy your new cam - it is a good one
    Hi Peter

Thank-you for the link, to me the USER manual is rubbish I am in the Process of Downloading it now and will print it all of once it is completed all 129 or so pages just hope I have enough INK in the printer when it comes to printing it all off

take care if you think of anything else please let me know

Jim thelad

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Bridge cameras like the Fuji you mentioned are an excellent way to get into the more creative side of photography without spending a small fortune on a DSLR system. What you get is all the basics for building your skills. Full manual control along side aperture priority and shutter priority plus the usual auto modes. There is a standard thread on the lens so you can play with creative filters, it has a viewfinder so you get the hang of holding a camera in a way that minimises camera shake and the quality from the EXR sensors that Fuji make are excellent.
    Ignor the elitist who say you can't get an excellent image from anything other that an expensive camera - cobblers - any camera can take a good picture but it is the photographer and the skill they learn that turn it into a great one.
    Hi Robin

Many thanks for replying and encouraging comments about the Fuji EXR S200 I like it but then I have never had a DSLR I am extremely late in life to be able to grasp all the technical details into my memory Bank ( MY HEAD) and i know i need to practice and practice then i will be fine. I have used a few settings but now realise I need to write down what was taken and what settings I used for the image that was taken My main interest are Bonsai Trees and Bonsai Shows, Family. Pets, Cycling, Live Sport, Animals followed by Nature and Landscapes so I am working on being able to get some good images

thanks for replying

Take care

Jim thelad

Real Name
    Robin

You're welcome. By the way a bridge camera is the perfect choice for shooting smaller objects like your Bonsai Trees as the smaller sensor gives a larger depth of field than would be achievable with a SLR.

Go for it, shoot everything you see, don't be put off by those who have 'better kit' and just make the most of what you have. Only by doing that will you get better photographs....the whole point of having an interest in photography.

Real Name
    Jim (TheLad )

Hi Robin

I have been busy this past week going through all the settings and taken images and seeing the difference between them and it has certainly opened my eyes and mind how much information there is on the Mode dial now I need to figure out what goes what

My problem in the past is that I used Auto for everything and hope that I would get the perfect images But as the saying goes it's "Never Too late to learn "

Thanks again

Jim

Real Name
    Dave

Hello Jim,

A good place to start for info on using your camera is the manual. I'm guessing it will be similar to many manuals - useful, if a little heavy going at times.

Another source of information is the tutorial section on this site. Although bridge cameras are different from point and shoot or DSLRs the basics of photography are the same.

Hope these tutorials are useful -

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...a-exposure.htm

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...a-metering.htm -

but there are also lots more.

The fact that you have moved on from just setting the camera on Auto is a good step. Just take lots of photos, use the EXIF data to analyse what happened - what worked and what didn't, and post questions and photos on here.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Snobbery? Please read my respose carefully. I shoot with anything from a camera phone, always carry my old point & shoot, still use the old Panasonic cross-over on occassion as well as my 4 year old Nikon DSLR and my 30+ year old Leica. They are all tools and can and have been used to take very compelling images.

My point was more that in today's market (which has changed considerably since the days I got into digital), the entry level DSLRs provide similar functionality and much room to grow than a cross-over cameras at similar price level. If you are in the market to get into photography in a serious way, my recommendation is still to go to an entry level DSLR over a superzoom. Price is really not all that different and you have more "headroom" to grow your skills with a DSLR. Your camera body does have a finite lifespan, but your accessories, especially your interchangable lenses will work on the next camera body you buy.

If you already own a cross-over, or any other type of camera, learn how to use it and work on your composition skills. These are really the most important thing you can do photographically. If you don't already own one, think about it before committing yourself one way or the other.
    Don't feel that your comment was taken as snobbery. Actually, I believe there was a section for point and shoots when I first joined, or at least a thread for this level of photography.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Don't feel that your comment was taken as snobbery. Actually, I believe there was a section for point and shoots when I first joined, or at least a thread for this level of photography.
    Hi Folks,

Just a couple of notes:

- I've read through all of the posts here. I wouldn't interpret Manfred's post as "snobbery"; What he wrote is accurate and delivered without any "emotion" (for want of a better word). I can also understand how someone may have interpreted this as being just a little too "straight up", but I would like to encourage folks to - if in doubt - "give others the benefit of the doubt". I've also heard the expression "don't judge the signpost - just look at the direction it's pointing", which may be applicable too. It's a fact of life that there are pros and cons to any technology. P&S cameras have the advantage of being low-cost and capable of taking a great photo UNDER IDEAL CONDITIONS. SLR cameras can cover a whole bunch of conditions - but you pay for the privilage (and they're bulky). Bridge cameras certainly can take a great photo - but you may well find that there are circumstances where you come across it's limitations in terms of image performance or potential accessories. Manfred appears to have your best interests at heart by suggesting that you MAY want to consider not investing too much in Bridge camera accessories because there may be a reasonably good possibility that you'll soon want to go beyond it's capabilities (or you may not -- we have no way of knowing).

- We did indeed used to have a seperate forum for compact cameras, but the more we thought about it, it just didn't make any sense to seperate cameras into different forums -- so we just combined them into one. Or put another way, this forum is for ALL camera types.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast