Thread: Area selection

Real Name
    Peter

Area selection

I have an image that needs to be altered in 3 different areas, two arms & 1 upper body with face. The skin tones look to be too dark (Hair might need altering as well). Do I need to work in 3 layers (ignoring background) or can I select 3 ares in just one layer?

I am still on the learning curve with Elements 10 & am just getting into layer work.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Area selection

Peter: layers and masks, best of luck.

Allan

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Peter: layers and masks, best of luck.

Allan
    Thank Allan for you very quick reply.
    Layers I can just about do. Masks? Now that's another story

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by cliveanne View Post
    Thank Allan for you very quick reply.
    Layers I can just about do. Masks? Now that's another story
    Masking is easier than you might think. In Elements you can use Adjustment Layers to create a mask. A mask is simply a hole in the upper layer so that you can see what is on the lower layer. Holes are black and reveal what is below. Anything in the mask that is white shows what is on the upper layer. Just like cutting a hole in a photograph to see what is in the photo below.

One neat thing about masks is that anything that is between white and black (a shade of grey) blends the two images together where the mask is grey. Lighter grey shows more of the upper image and darker grey shows more of the lower image.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Masking is easier than you might think. In Elements you can use Adjustment Layers to create a mask. A mask is simply a hole in the upper layer so that you can see what is on the lower layer. Holes are black and reveal what is below. Anything in the mask that is white shows what is on the upper layer. Just like cutting a hole in a photograph to see what is in the photo below.

One neat thing about masks is that anything that is between white and black (a shade of grey) blends the two images together where the mask is grey. Lighter grey shows more of the upper image and darker grey shows more of the lower image.
    Thanks. It has been a bit of a struggle, but I got there. I have a problem of putting the written word into action Something I have had to live with. But I do not give up