What do you think of your new toys??
I know nothing of the technology but I do know that the tonal values are gorgeous...especially in the second and last shots.
Beautiful hazels and greens.
I really like them.
Bit of a learning curve (loose translation "I've had to start thinking again"!), but so far ...
- Triggering has been faultless - not a single misfire
- Found one minor bug - couldn't get back onto setup mode after shooting in multi mode (haven't tried to reproduce it yet though)
- Still waiting on the ST-E3-RT, so having to use 600EX-RT #5 on the camera at the moment (works just fine, but not fond of the change in balance nor this big thing onthe top of the camera)
- Flash "complains" ("TV!") if I go within 1 stop of X-Sync (as per the manual), but appears to work all the way up to 1/8000th (contrary to what it says in the manual, but consistent with what others have found) - so not sure what's the story there. Not a biggie as I should have the 1Dx in a few weeks which overcoms that limitation anyway.
- Group mode is only supported in 2012 cameras and above (which basically gives full ETTL & manual control over 5 zones), but it's not a biggie to work with the existing 2 1/2 zones.
- The ability to trigger a camera (or cameras) from the flash was a nice little extra (cable needed though)
- Gel holder is nice - far more dignified that the old gaffer tape solution
- Minor PITA to cut additional gels (CTBs etc)
All in all though, VERY nice - highly recommended.
Colin, thanks for giving me MORE equipment to lust for
How am I supposed to justify this expense to my wife!?!?!?
The photos look great. Are you applying some blurring to the edges of the girl? The photos don't show up in my web page unless I click on a little icon?
Buy them first, justify them later - works every time for me!How am I supposed to justify this expense to my wife!?!?!?
Thanks!The photos look great. Are you applying some blurring to the edges of the girl? The photos don't show up in my web page unless I click on a little icon?
I did a little gaussean blur skin softening, and then used the same in the hair. Not sure why you have to click an icon -- looking ok from my end