Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Braga, Portugal farmers market

Real Name
    Jason

Braga, Portugal farmers market

Hey all,

This past summer I took a trip to Portugal. We went to a local farmers market in Braga which is about forty five minutes north of Porto.

Caught

Lupini

Which to choose

Chilies

Terracotta

Sausage and Beans

Seeds and Nuts

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks,

Jason
    Last edited by Rhoads238; 21st April 2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added titles

Real Name
    John

Re: Braga, Portugal farmers market

With so many photos it would help if you numbered or gave a title to each. I'll make an overall comment and say that these are a good example of documenting your travels.

You choice of composition reflects something about your character. I am not sure if you cropped these images, did any post processing, or if these are straight from the camera, but in most you have either cropped severerly or framed the subject a bit too tightly. For instance, in the last photograph either zoom in and capture the whole bunch of nuts or zoom out and show the entire selection.

In the first photograph of the woman, a good example of a candid moment but the background is overexposed and her face is showing reflections from either the overhead canopy or the fruits below, making her face look dull and filled with noise. You can see an obvious difference in her arms which look natural and her face which looks pixelated.

The photo of the woman in red is pretty good and you could probably crop that image or blur the background a bit more.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    With so many photos it would help if you numbered or gave a title to each. I'll make an overall comment and say that these are a good example of documenting your travels.
    I have added titles

You choice of composition reflects something about your character. I am not sure if you cropped these images, did any post processing, or if these are straight from the camera, but in most you have either cropped severerly or framed the subject a bit too tightly. For instance, in the last photograph either zoom in and capture the whole bunch of nuts or zoom out and show the entire selection.
    Here is what it looked like before cropping. I felt like the peppers were a little to busy.

In the first photograph of the woman, a good example of a candid moment but the background is overexposed and her face is showing reflections from either the overhead canopy or the fruits below, making her face look dull and filled with noise. You can see an obvious difference in her arms which look natural and her face which looks pixelated.

The photo of the woman in red is pretty good and you could probably crop that image or blur the background a bit more.
    This one was a struggle. I had trouble with the lighting as the umbrellas and tents were a lot of different colors. Any ideas of what white balance to use for that? I will be going to the NYC farmers market in the coming weeks and expect a similar lighting situation.

I had been using direct sunlight for white balance. but it had came out far too yellow. So I just did my best in pp.

Thanks for the feedback

-Jason

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    I have added titles

Here is what it looked like before cropping. I felt like the peppers were a little to busy.

This one was a struggle. I had trouble with the lighting as the umbrellas and tents were a lot of different colors. Any ideas of what white balance to use for that? I will be going to the NYC farmers market in the coming weeks and expect a similar lighting situation.

I had been using direct sunlight for white balance. but it had came out far too yellow. So I just did my best in pp.

Thanks for the feedback

-Jason
    I like the uncropped version. Regarding the market photograph, chances are when you go back the lighting situation will be totally different, even if you go back at the exact time of day. Your photo titled "Caught" is a combination of street candid with an isolated portrait scenario filled with its own obstacles. It would help our protrait experts if you could provide your camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and time of day) for this photo.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 21st April 2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: removed edit

Real Name
    Jason

I like the uncropped version. Regarding the market photograph, chances are when you go back the lighting situation will be totally different, even if you go back at the exact time of day. Your photo titled "Caught" is a combination of street candid with an isolated portrait scenario filled with its own obstacles. It would help our protrait experts if you could provide your camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and time of day) for this photo.
    Your right it would be easier with the settings up.

Iso 1250
    1/200s
    f/14
    Wb Direct sunlight
    ev -0.3
    Time taken, Noon

I think it was a white balance issue. I also should have been shooting in raw but at the time I did not have the ability to do raw processing.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    Your right it would be easier with the settings up.

Iso 1250
    1/200s
    f/14
    Wb Direct sunlight
    ev -0.3
    Time taken, Noon

I think it was a white balance issue. I also should have been shooting in raw but at the time I did not have the ability to do raw processing.
    Jason,

Time of day will change many of your issues, but if you do have to shoot at noon, use the Sunny 16 rule. That being said, you could have used ISO 100, f/14, 1/250 sec. At your current settings you would have to use a shutter speed closer to 1/2000s to control the exposure. Sunny 16 doesn't always get the look you want, but it gets you closer to what you actually see.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

I love shooting at the markets, so much colours and characters. I like your pictures but you may have done to much in the PP. It looks by the look of the faces that there is a little to much saturation. I am certainly not the one to be teaching PP, but there is a lot of colour.

Real Name
    John

Jason,

Time of day will change many of your issues, but if you do have to shoot at noon, use the Sunny 16 rule. That being said, you could have used ISO 100, f/14, 1/250 sec. At your current settings you would have to use a shutter speed closer to 1/2000s to control the exposure. Sunny 16 doesn't always get the look you want, but it gets you closer to what you actually see.
    By the way, your choice of settings will also depend on what lens focal length you are using, whether or not you are handholding the lens. So if you are using a 300mm lens you will want to shoot at 1/320s or faster and adjust aperture accordingly.