Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lake Shots

Real Name
    Kevin

Lake Shots

Hi all,
    Recent series in early morning light, about 7AM. Nice spring day but about 0 degrees C. Looking for feedback and suggestions. Thanks so much for viewing

Kevin

Lake Shots

Lake Shots

Lake Shots

Lake Shots

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lake Shots

This is the one that doesn't work so well for me from the set.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Lake Shots
    I don't think it's such a strong composition. I'm not so keen on the tree disappearing out of the top of the frame. If it had been much closer in and it was obvious that the whole tree was not meant to be in frame, then that would have been fine. But this looks as if maybe it was an accident that we lost the top of the tree.

I also think that the way the mist is playing against the trees just doesn't work as well in this one.

But as for the others ..........

You hit a rich stream of creativity there. I think they are very, very good. The compositions are strong. The lighting is glorious.

Problem - The sky in the first one has a plague of dust bunnies. They need to go.

Good work, Kevin.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you, Donald

Duly noted and appreciated. Can't believe I overlooked the dust bunnies. I really aggravate me sometimes.

I find trees to be tricky sometimes. It often is a necessity to crop them- perhaps the art is to make the crop obviously intentional rather than accidental?

And, would the compostion of the first image been helped with a tighter crop oof the right side closer to the docking posts?

Real Name
    Eugen

The only thing I find distracting is a GND filter a bit too strong because the top of the images looks a bit too dark for me.
    I like the way you captured the morning mist and for me the composition works.

The first and the third one are my favourites.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Eugen

Can't remember if I had a GND or a polarizer on there, but agree it's a little heavy

Real Name
    Chuck

Kevin, very nice shots. I like the way you captured the sun on the fog and water in the first one and still kept detail in the foreground. Your fourth shot is beautifully done. Great capture.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

A very nice set of shots Kevin. Love the atmosphere created by the fog. The last one is my favourite too.

Dave