Thread: ''Jordan"

Real Name
    Edwin

''Jordan"

I took this portrait of one of the members kids at my local photography club last Monday. I like it for the colour, sharpness & the expressionless natural look on his face. I took it using available light with Canon 5DMk II & Canon 70:200F4 IS lens.

''Jordan"

Real Name
    Philip

Re: ''Jordan"

Edwin, what follows is obviously a matter of opinion, as well as personal preference, as I do not know the boy - the lighting seems a bit harsh and the skin tones appear to have a yellowish tint; for me, the image should look something like this -

''Jordan"

Philip

Real Name
    Nigel

Hi Edwin,
    This is a lovely portrait with great natural lighting. I expect you are very pleased with it! I have to agree with Philip though: it does have a yellowish skin tone.

Real Name
    Richard

Edwin, I have to chime in with Phillip. t first I thought the yellow-green skin tones were the fault of a new monitor; which, despite being calibrated, I do not trust totally yet. However, the portrait is very nice and shows the young man in a very masculine pose!

I just acquired a Smartphone and one of my first apps I loaded was one which converts the smartphone into a gray card for matching color temperature...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I just acquired a Smartphone and one of my first apps I loaded was one which converts the smartphone into a gray card for matching color temperature...
    You mean you use one electronic display to set the camera's white balance?

That just seems wrong

Real Name
    Richard

The app shows the screen as an 18% gay card. Including it in the first of a series of images it gives me a benchmark for color correction. It also has a white card but, that doesn't really look "white" enough for my tastes...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

The app shows the screen as an 18% gay card. Including it in the first of a series of images it gives me a benchmark for color correction. It also has a white card but, that doesn't really look "white" enough for my tastes...
    Out of interest Richard, have you shot it alongside of a regular spectrally neutral card to see how neutral it really is?

Real Name

The app shows the screen as an 18% gray card. Including it in the first of a series of images it gives me a benchmark for color correction. It also has a white card but, that doesn't really look "white" enough for my tastes...
    Exactly, any screen won't be a continuous spectrum, will need calibrating, will likely to drift with temperature and of course; reflect ambient light - which actually, ought to be the whole point of a white balance, shouldn't it?

Or am I missing something?
    You said "for matching color temperature", perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick.
    Do you adjust the app. to match it to a grey card held in ambient light and get kelvin figure?

Very confused,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Exactly, any screen won't be a continuous spectrum, will need calibrating, will likely to drift with temperature and of course; reflect ambient light - which actually, ought to be the whole point of a white balance, shouldn't it?

Or am I missing something?
    You said "for matching color temperature", perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick.
    Do you adjust the app. to match it to a grey card held in ambient light and get kelvin figure?

Very confused,
    Hi Dave,

I'm guessing that it's probably just a case of degrees (or Kelvin if we're in a punny mood today!).

I can guess that the spectrally neutral gray (nothing really to do with 18% though) of a phone screen probably wouldn't be as accurate as a "real" grey card, if it's all you have, then it's probably more accurate than Charlies brown hat / blue shirt / or pink skin (possibly being the only other alternatives in an image).

Real Name
    Philip

"...am I missing something?"

- Edwin's photo?...

Philip

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    "...am I missing something?"

- Edwin's photo?...

Philip
    Oh yes Philip,

I agree your version of Edwin's photo looks much more natural

In other respects Edwin, quite a reasonable shot that the subject themselves probably wouldn't object to.