Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waiting to enter Marlow Lock

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Waiting to enter Marlow Lock

Last Sunday I took some shots from Marlow Lock down stream from Marlow Bridge and Weir, which is quite a sight. However my previous shots have been concentrating on the Church and not the river. This time I concentrated on the river, however the image is perhaps too busy, particularly with thew weir structure, posts and jetty. I would welcome views on this.

Best viewed at larger size.

Aperture: f/8 Shutter Speed: 1/400 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Peter K

Re: Waiting to enter Marlow Lock

Wow. Looks like a profesional promotional shot! My eye goes up the river to the church, which is on the thirds. Nothing is cut off. There is forground interest. The sky is intersting without being forboding and the light is nice. What's not to like!
    Trying really hard to find at least something, I would tone down the block of white water on the weir center left.

Real Name
    Philip

Great shot, Chris - good composition, pleasing lighting of the scene, and a wonderful sky. I have tried to get this view many times without success - were you standing on the little footbridge to the lock? The only disappointment for me is the distraction of those bright orange safety jackets (H & S seems to have a negative impact on so many pursuits these days!) - perhaps they could be toned right down or cloned out?

Philip

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thank you for your kind comments Peter and Philip.

I was standing just as you go on the bridge over to the lock island. It is interesting that because of the angles, the view changes as you cross the bridge, which is only a few meters across. The image below is basically the same view taken from the other side of the bridge with the boat remaining on the left hand side. However the church spire has moved to the right and the bridge and weir have all but disappeared, all this in just a few meters.

I have to say I prefer the first one but of course it is a matter of personal preference.

Aperture: f/8 Shutter Speed: 1/250 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Philip

I agree with you, Chris - the first is the more appealing composition (and those jackets seem to distract even more in the second!), As well as a more favourable angle, the first seems to benefit from a slightly higher viewpoint (although that might be an illusion).

Philip.

Real Name
    Richard

I do like the first shot. It may be a bit busy but, there is so much to take in that, looking at the image is a pleasant experience. My eye however seems to want to travel along the pier at the lower right of the image but, the pier stops. I'd like to see where in bisects with the shoreline.

Everything is too 'square on' with the second images. Still good focus and exposure but it lacks the perspective of the first one.