Thread: My dog

Real Name
    Mark

My dog

My dog

Catching backlit strands of hair is a real challenge for me. I've managed to go some way towards this but it just does not crackle enough for me. What exposure compensation would you use to get a brighter effect on the highlighted hair?

The image was taken on an EOS 400D, with an EF 28-80 at 80mm. Fill in flash was fired, with an exposure of F7.1 & 1/60th at ISO 100

Real Name
    Peter K

Re: My dog

I think the maybe the fill in flash is a bit strong which has lowered the exposure of the background? I use -2 stops on the flash usually. Having said that I do end up with quite 'flat' faces. Also a darker background would show off the haie better, but I'm sure you know that!

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Peter, you are right about the background - but it was much brighter than the foreground. Perhaps I should have metered for the background - made it dark and then added flash. Problem is my dog kept moving!

Real Name
    Peter K

When I saw the original I looked back through some of mine looking for a sun backlight, as I often try to take them. I came accross this one of a friend of my Daughter that I took whilst doing a 16th birthday present photoshoot. (7 girls, it was very noisy!)
    Anyway, apart from the small fact that one is a human and one a dog, I could not help but notice how similar the pictures are

My dog

Real Name
    Richard

What an absolutly beautiful dog! I wonder how you like this version?

My dog

I lowered the brightness about -20 overall and then cloned in some of the green grass over the bright spot on the top of the image and also cropped a bit of it off.

I then burned in the nose, each eye and some of the backlit tuffs of coat on the head.

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by UKDivemaster View Post
    My dog

Catching backlit strands of hair is a real challenge for me. I've managed to go some way towards this but it just does not crackle enough for me. What exposure compensation would you use to get a brighter effect on the highlighted hair?

The image was taken on an EOS 400D, with an EF 28-80 at 80mm. Fill in flash was fired, with an exposure of F7.1 & 1/60th at ISO 100
    That is a great picture of a dog with personality! I do beleave that is what taking picture is all about: showing something that you saw and found special.

Real Name
    Terry

Beautiful pup you have there, Mark!

I couldn't answer your question as far as exposure compensation is concerned. I would imagine it would be different in different backlight scenarios. Actually, I think your backlighting looks good as is without being too hot.

But you might try dodging the highlights lightly in post to get your desired effect after the fact.

I wonder Mark? Is it just me or can you detect a color cast? Yellow? Seems that Richard mitigated it a bit (possibly by adjusting the brightness), but does there seem to be a bit left over?

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by PKFUSION View Post
    When I saw the original I looked back through some of mine looking for a sun backlight, as I often try to take them. I came accross this one of a friend of my Daughter that I took whilst doing a 16th birthday present photoshoot. (7 girls, it was very noisy!)
    Anyway, apart from the small fact that one is a human and one a dog, I could not help but notice how similar the pictures are

You are right - what a pretty girl.

My dog

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Beautiful pup you have there, Mark!

I couldn't answer your question as far as exposure compensation is concerned. I would imagine it would be different in different backlight scenarios. Actually, I think your backlighting looks good as is without being too hot.

But you might try dodging the highlights lightly in post to get your desired effect after the fact.

I wonder Mark? Is it just me or can you detect a color cast? Yellow? Seems that Richard mitigated it a bit (possibly by adjusting the brightness), but does there seem to be a bit left over?
    Quite possibly - I'm still not happy with my monitor calibration: having to save up for a better one and a spyder calibration tool.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    What an absolutly beautiful dog! I wonder how you like this version?

My dog

I lowered the brightness about -20 overall and then cloned in some of the green grass over the bright spot on the top of the image and also cropped a bit of it off.

I then burned in the nose, each eye and some of the backlit tuffs of coat on the head.
    Thanks Richard, you have opened my eyes to what might be achieved with a bit more PP. I've taken your advice: but also darkened the background and eyes. It has improved the contrast a bit.

My dog

Real Name
    Toño

Quote Originally Posted by PKFUSION View Post

My dog
    hahahaha sorry Peter, but I think the comparison is really funny LOL

Toño

Real Name
    Myra

Mark, that is a beautiful shot of your pup. Your second PP version does pop more. I'm getting the colour cast, too. Did you try the picker for white balance in post? I might try a bit more sharpening to increase the "crackle". (Good word )

Real Name
    Elayna

It looks really cute, you did awesome on the lighting.I know my dog never stays still!good picture.
    the lighting really makes this picture great!