Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: St Kilda Pier

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

St Kilda Pier

I took this shot of the St Kilda pier yesterday. It is a well known Melbourne landmark. We don't see a lot of sepia on CiC but I thought it suited this scene. I wondered what others thought.

Dave

St Kilda Pier
    Last edited by dje; 19th April 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: St Kilda Pier

As usual, a great photo. I always wonder how you manage to get such crystal clear pics.
    The subject works very well in sepia and if it wasn't for the car on the right I wouldn't been able to say if it was an old pic or not.

Great job Dave

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Great scene Dave, I like the serpia. The light pole in the foreground is a little bit too dominating for me, I'd like to see that a bit further from the camera and the car out of the crop. Its a great subject and deserves to be photographed from all angles.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    As usual, a great photo. I always wonder how you manage to get such crystal clear pics.
    The subject works very well in sepia and if it wasn't for the car on the right I wouldn't been able to say if it was an old pic or not.

Great job Dave
    Thanks Eugen, you're too kind !!

There's nothing special about sharpening here - this was taken with my P300 compact which only does jpegs. Sharpening was all in camera.Yes it's a pity about the car, I could possibly crop or clone it out.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Great scene Dave, I like the serpia. The light pole in the foreground is a little bit too dominating for me, I'd like to see that a bit further from the camera and the car out of the crop. Its a great subject and deserves to be photographed from all angles.
    Thanks Wayne. I agree that the light pole is a bit too dominant - it's been "bugging me" !! I'll see what I can do with this and the car.

Dave

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Okay for my 2.5 cent's( adjusted up for inflation) worth. A great shot, well done and the sepia really works. The interacting groups of people enjoying the pier and its facilities also add Life to the shot as far as I am concerend. Now, as for "the pole?" I reckon it is great. There are for me historical overtones in the story you tell with this shot. And so for me the pole and its detail are of integral significance. Yes I know there are two other poles but for me they are too distant to appreciate their detail. And what I also like about " the pole" is how you have framed it so that its upper curve is positioned to draw my eye back to the centre of the roof and down to the main building. Yes, I think I am keen on this shot. Were it mine, it would be a keeper. Apologies for being so long winded and taking so long just to say it is a beaut shot and I like it!
    Oh, one last thing. Get some kind soul to hot wire that bloody ute and drive it over the edge of the pier, out of frame!
    Ken

Real Name
    Bobette Lambert

I didn't even notice the car on the right entail others pointed it out. The curve of the pole brought my eye into the shot and the people on the pier. The sepia is great.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Okay for my 2.5 cent's( adjusted up for inflation) worth. A great shot, well done and the sepia really works. The interacting groups of people enjoying the pier and its facilities also add Life to the shot as far as I am concerend. Now, as for "the pole?" I reckon it is great. There are for me historical overtones in the story you tell with this shot. And so for me the pole and its detail are of integral significance. Yes I know there are two other poles but for me they are too distant to appreciate their detail. And what I also like about " the pole" is how you have framed it so that its upper curve is positioned to draw my eye back to the centre of the roof and down to the main building. Yes, I think I am keen on this shot. Were it mine, it would be a keeper. Apologies for being so long winded and taking so long just to say it is a beaut shot and I like it!
    Oh, one last thing. Get some kind soul to hot wire that bloody ute and drive it over the edge of the pier, out of frame!
    Ken
    Thanks for your comments Ken. I think I should have taken a shot from halfway between light poles - but I didn't !! As you say, the detail on the pole does add something to the photo.

Hot wiring utes - hmm - obviously a farm practice ??

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by BokehBo View Post
    I didn't even notice the car on the right entail others pointed it out. The curve of the pole brought my eye into the shot and the people on the pier. The sepia is great.
    Thanks for commenting Bobette. I thought the sepia gave it a sense of history.

Dave

Real Name
    Eugen

+1 on the pole. I like it the way it is.